Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: European ring size discrepancy  (Read 2197 times)

Rockin' Randy

• Rockin' Ran-De's Jewelry
European ring size discrepancy
« on: November 24, 2019, 02:08:28 PM »

I have been asked to make a ring for a lady in the UK, who says she is ring size M. I googled conversion charts and am getting several different answers. I can find charts which state European size M is equivalent to US size 6, 6.25, or even 6.5. I tried to narrow it down to inside ring diameter, and again, some charts claim size M to be 16.51 mm, while others claim 16.71 mm dia. How can this not be an exact known dimension in this day and age? Has anyone else dealt with letter size conversations, or do we have any European members who can help? A correct inside diameter would be best, in either metric or English increments. Thank you.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Re: European ring size discrepancy
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 07:31:41 PM »

if i was in this position, it would come with the condition that you will make it to 6.5 and it may need to be resized at a jeweler up or down.
Having this contract agreement you are covered by her knowing it may need further sizing work upon arrival of package.

Sizing down is super simpple and easy, upsizing isnt so go for the larger 6.5

Rockin' Randy

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 08:04:54 PM »

That is a good point. I am beginning to think I may have to go this route.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 08:32:34 PM »

unless its a gift, i personally wont make items to ship overseas for sale. Gifts would be different as the are a gift, if they dont like it so what. its a gift.

Rockin' Randy

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 08:44:31 PM »

It's not a gift. But it was ordered by an online friend I made through another forum. So I was hoping to get it right. I am thinking about soldering up three ring gauges out of copper or something, and sending it to her to try on.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 07:40:38 AM »

Ask her to get sized up at a jewelry shop or something?
Has to be a way to get the correct size of her finger easier so you dont have to ship back & forth.

Rockin' Randy

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 08:01:58 AM »

Good idea. Maybe they could give me an inside diameter. Love that cabochon for your avatar photo.

rocks2dust

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 08:57:53 AM »

Good suggestions. M should be 16.5 mm diameter/ 52 mm circumference as you first stated. 16.71 mm diameter you mentioned seems like it would be more like a fractional M+ size (somewhere between M and N).

Mass-market manufactured rings and ring blanks I've bought seem to have leeway in any event. Really just needs to be close, rather than exact. Hands swell and shrink through the day and depending on activity. Width of the shank also can affect how easily a ring can go over the knuckle (and how loose it feels once in place between the joints). Hard to guess whether they'd be pleased, regardless of whether you had an "exact" measurement.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 09:17:59 AM »

Good idea. Maybe they could give me an inside diameter. Love that cabochon for your avatar photo.
thank you. Mexican imperial jasper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 39 queries.