Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New, old Frantom saw  (Read 2017 times)

GeoTech

New, old Frantom saw
« on: August 06, 2020, 09:13:58 AM »

Hi all, I have a 10" Frantom saw that was part of a package I purchased from an estate. I will be cleaning it up in the next month or so as time permits.
My question is about the feed system (see pics) that obviously pulls the rough through the saw.
What, how, Why, When Where?
1)What kind of weights are used to accomplish this?
2)How do you determine feed rate? Is it a matter of each different rock has a different speed ?
3)Why would speed matter other than bogging down the saw? Does it burn the slab going too slow?
4)When do you change blade types if at all? Is it a matter of listening to the chatter?
And finally,
5)Where do you draw a line between mineral oil & water? Then what types of oil is recommended?
I have to smile just anticipating the answers that may be thrown out.
I have been a beekeeper for many years, & came up with a saying "Ask a beekeeper a question, you get an answer. Ask ten beekeepers the same questions, you get confused!" Not to say nine out of ten will be wrong, as there is no true experts in our field. And the ONLY correct answer is, "Whatever works for you"
Thanks for your opinions!

Slabbercabber

Re: New, old Frantom saw
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 09:47:38 AM »

1)What kind of weights are used to accomplish this?
Any weight will do, even sandbags.  Tin can with sand is adjustable.  Scale weights are very convenient.
2)How do you determine feed rate? Is it a matter of each different rock has a different speed ?
Feed rate is subjective.  Different materials and different blades need different speeds.  Play it by ear.
3)Why would speed matter other than bogging down the saw? Does it burn the slab going too slow?
Too slow may cause worse saw marks.
4)When do you change blade types if at all? Is it a matter of listening to the chatter?
I never change blade type.
And finally,
5)Where do you draw a line between mineral oil & water? Then what types of oil is recommended?
Water if you are pushing the material into the blade.  You don't want to be be breathing oil.  Oil will extend blade life.

Felicia

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 11:59:27 AM »

2. If you're using weights, the material hardness would affect feed rate, (i.e.  softer will feed faster, etc.)  3. The amount of weight will affect the pressure on being applied, (yes this affects speed), but too much pressure can overheat the blade and stone, regardless of oil. Going slow usually more of a problem for your patience, than the stone. 5. Trim saws are usually 6" or less and use water. Larger saws like yours use oil. Oil using saws are normally covered while the cuts are being made to keep from breathing oil mist. If you must do it by hand, then a really good idea will be to look into masks (not another mask! 😱). There are types that will filter out practically anything depending on the insert used, or get a mask type that will let you bring in outside air. Check back into some older articles, not too far back there was some discussion about saw oils, and where to get them at the best price. Good luck.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 07:54:40 PM »

I feel that there is a sweet spot in speed.  Too slow will make you wait much longer but also the longer it runs with the blade in contact with the stone the more heat is built up in the blade and the oil which causes the same problem as going to fast.  A witches art.

GeoTech

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 06:49:04 PM »

Thanks everyone for the great replies! I like the idea of a coffee can & sand! I'm picturing pouring sand to start the sled and slowly adding more to speed it up as needed
As to the fact of using oil and the (dreaded) mask 😂😂 I have particulate masks if needed, however, the saw has a plexiglass cover that drops down over the saw that might help save what's left of my lungs after working 30 years of brazing refrigeration systems & breathing Phosgene gas.
And so irockhound, I'm thinking of sacrificing a bunch of junk rocks of various hardness is the way to find that sweet "feel" then instead of starting with some hefty Brazilian Agates!   

Felicia

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 08:53:40 PM »

Phosgene? I thought it was freon. At least I hope so. That stuffs nasty

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 06:14:56 AM »

To give you a baseline : a slab saw normally feeds at the rate of 1" in 6 or 7 or more minutes.  That's slow.  Most of us feed a hand fed saw much faster.  What you are striving for is something slower than you would feed it by hand but still something that means the stone is moving toward the blade.  Once you determine how much weight it takes to move the vice and a small stone you will have reference to guide your next cuts.  Be careful if you have exposed belts.  Adding water to a bottle hanging from that pull rope might be easier than adding (or spilling sand). 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

GeoTech

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 01:55:49 AM »

Phosgene? I thought it was freon. At least I hope so. That stuffs nasty
Felicia, Phosgene is a byproduct from welding with freon still in lines. It's back when we weren't so aware of using nitrogen to clear the lines for either being in a hurry, or just being lazy! Yes, bad stuff even in minute quantities!

GeoTech

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 02:14:28 AM »

To give you a baseline : a slab saw normally feeds at the rate of 1" in 6 or 7 or more minutes.   Be careful if you have exposed belts.  Adding water to a bottle hanging from that pull rope might be easier than adding (or spilling sand). 
Thanks Peruano, you gave me what I was looking for as a starter (feed of 1"/ 6 or 7 minutes)
As to the exposed belts. The saw along with the 3 old Poly products grinders came from an estate (former retail business) that also had an 8' table with the belts feeding to a shelf below where the motors were located. I love the setup like that.
The reason I was thinking sand was because of weight ratio to water to given volume.

55fossil

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 09:45:43 AM »

Wear a mask, period.   Oil will collect a lot of the toxic debris but you still breath it.  Water also collects the debris but it seems to spread farther as water flies off the blade.  Either way, you will be breathing toxic waste that can harm your lungs. After you have cut a few slabs look at your counter tops and the saw. There will be a lot of fine rock particulates that leave a powdery residue when things dry off. That is just what goes into your lungs.  The plexiglass top does diminish the flying waste but you still get dosed.
   PS: 
I watched my "I will never wear a mask neighbor" survive the covid crud. Luckily for him he is young. Us old guys cannot afford to take the chance.  Yep, I wear a mask and isolate as much as possible.  Good excuse to play with more rocks... yay

Felicia

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 10:26:08 AM »

Didn't know freon could be transformed into phosgene by welding (in some chemical process with other gasses?) I'll look it up, just curious how that works. Still, good to know where and why the danger is. Take care.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 44 queries.