Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rock Tumbling NEWBIE  (Read 1069 times)

amrap1

Rock Tumbling NEWBIE
« on: October 21, 2020, 05:50:33 PM »

Just started acting on a interest I've had for a while. Gems...pretty rocks...call it what you want. Saw a video/Ad for rock tumbling and bought a National Geographic tumbler kit. If you are not familiar with it, it comes with a bag of rocks, tumbling media and instructions. I followed the instructions to a tee and came away with rocks that were reduced to pebbles and some nice looking rocks that were only shiny when wet.  :dontknow:

While they were tumbling, I learned about different rock hardness and understand now why some were reduced to pebbles. You would think that they would include rocks of the same hardness so you get great results from "their" product and WANT MORE.   :laughing6:

After YOUR first tumbler how did figure out how to make the "MAGIC" work?  :WEEEE:

Ed

Rustycat

Re: Rock Tumbling NEWBIE
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 11:02:49 AM »

amrap,
I suggest that Youtube is your friend in this situation, as there a a number of videos on using a tumbler that I think would be a great help.

amrap1

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 07:16:25 PM »

I suggest that Youtube is your friend in this situation, as there a a number of videos on using a tumbler that I think would be a great help.

YouTube is my go to media for information on anything I want to learn about. I figured out one of the problems. The packets of grit they give you with the tumbler doesn't contain enough for step 1 & 2. Also, the packs don't tell you the actual grit #. Tonight I got a different tumbler and their grit packs were short too. I also bought a batch of grit from another company with the grit# on the label, compared it to the "cheaper" packs and they look the same (Other than #4 is white instead of gray)

I also bought a bag of agates and a box of petrified wood and will tumble them separatly (with the correct amount of grit) and should have better results.

Ed
Rock on dude!

amrap1

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 07:46:29 PM »

I also bought a buffing wheel for my drill and headlight polish. I polished the best looking ones from the first ever batch. Here's the best looking ones:

safossils

• Walt's Music
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 10:59:11 AM »

Looks much better than my first attempts, don't give up.....
Walter G Farmer
Guitar pick maker and musician from Tucson AZ

amrap1

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 06:08:36 PM »

Batch of flint going in next. Hopefully all the same hardness. Check every 3 or 4 days to make sure. Yea, NO BRAINER.

Felicia

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 03:52:07 PM »

They should be pretty close. Have fun.

amrap1

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 07:37:12 PM »

Update on the tumbling. I was watching some YouTube videos about tumbling and noticed people using different grits 60/90, 100/150, 180/200 and so on. Some people say 5 days for step one and 7 for the rest of the steps. Others 7 steps for all and still others go longer on each step. I don't recall any rock specifics on the differences like 5 days for Jasper and 7 days for opal. I checked the NG bottles of grit and it didn't state the grit#. The packets that came with the tumblers and boxes of Agates & Petrified Wood didn't state the grit# either. So I bought some other company's bottles that stated the grit# and to compare them.

They all looked and felt the same...not sure if you can see or feel the difference between 60 or 90 anyway. :LOLOL: However, the packets that came with the tumblers didn't contain enough grit on steps 1 & 2. Steps 3 & 4 contained more than the 2 tablespoons that most all of the videos say to use.  Also the other company included a LARGER scoop than the National Geographic one. It holds a tablespoon!

I saw 1 video that I think sums it up for the newbie. When he bought his first tumbler he bought extra grit. Do what the instructions say for your tumbler. After 3 days on Step 1, take a couple of rocks out and if there is very little or no change, add another scoop or tablespoon of grit. I did that with my second batch and that was when I discovered the shortage in the packets that came with the tumbler!  :thumbsup:

Ed
I lost my marbles...but I now have rocks!

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 07:57:34 AM »

Marketing is about getting your money not about delivering the goods that work. Nice array of tumbling supplies at  a few dealers such as Kingsley -North. Between their offerings  a little education and a lot of patience you can make great stones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 43 queries.