Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Xmas spheres 12-20-21  (Read 532 times)

Sandsave

Xmas spheres 12-20-21
« on: December 20, 2021, 05:32:47 PM »

Every Christmas I have the kids and grandkids go out to my shop and pick a rock. Just finished them today..
1.Lucin Varisite, 2. Hampton Butte 3. Indian Paint, 4. Lionite, 5. Tiger Iron, 6. Zebra Marble, 7.Crystal Nev. Calcite, 8. Septarian Nodule.
I find it interesting what they pick out to sphere.

55fossil

Re: Xmas spheres 12-20-21
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 05:58:04 PM »

Nice...  They all look great but my favorite is the Calcite.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 09:05:11 PM »

You are a lucky man!  One is the kids and grandkids that appreciate what Dad/Grandpa does and want something special from him!!!   Kudos and great job on them all.

Okay in order
1 Llanite  (always love those blue Phenocrysts)
2 Indian Paint  (patterns are awesome)
3 Zebra  (contrast is killer and striking)
4 Calcite  (pattern says it all)
5 Tiger Iron  (Classic)
6 Hampton  (unique Wood)
7 Septarian   
8 Lucin

I know Indian Paint is a bugger to polish but has anything worked?  A higher polish would push that way over the top to number one.  I bought some amazing patterned Cherry Creek not knowing the dark side of it.  I spent days trying everything,  Whales Wax, Sealing, Automotive Polishing compound, Plastic Polish, Rouge  Chrome, Tin, Alumina, Cerium, Smooth leather, Felt, Rough Leather< horrible with rough!, nothing could do it.  I finally tried baking the material in hopes that it had some moisture content and the sealed immediately with Hxtal after drying in the oven for an hour.  Back to the wheels 600-14k, Then used Smooth leather with Cerium with a ton of water and never letting it heat or dry out and Finally got a decent polish.  Ill post a message separate in the forum on the process and the results since I don't want to post any pics here and divert away from the great spheres you made.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 05:50:49 AM »

Thanks for posting these. So much variety, and they all look great.

That Hampton Butte is just like a big chunk we got at Catmandewe's Quartzsite booth in 2020.

Sandsave

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 02:32:11 PM »

I haven’t tried as many ways to polish as you have, it definitely doesn’t take a shine.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 11:45:25 AM »

Love this batch!  My personal favorite has to be that amazing Hampton's Butte!  I struggled with Indian Paint and ended up using Shinola, that classic shoe polish after a tip from Wes Lingerfelt.  It did reflect back the light so I called it good but not great.  Besides, now I truly know the difference between S$%# and shinola!   :icon_tongue:

I finished up a few spheres recently and will play some catch up on posting them.

Eddie P

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 03:29:15 AM »

These are all terrific.  For me the Indian paint is particularly beautiful.  And it's always interesting to hear about different strategies to improve shine on stones like these.   I find a coat of Bellinzoni marble wax removed after three minutes with OOOO steel wool helps with lustre on perfectly polished but matt rocks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 38 queries.