Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burro Creek trip  (Read 4256 times)

VegasJames

Re: Burro Creek trip
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 09:14:51 PM »

Great finds! Some beautiful colors and patterns there.  Pity the mine grew and made a settling old of where i dug the purple. I would have loved to go back.

There is still a lot of purple out there. I found some large chunks of purple in one spot out there.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 06:53:39 AM »

Nice!  The one in the bottom right is REALLY blue.  Great find and thanks for showing them!   :occasion14:
Robin

ileney

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 08:37:39 AM »

Wow! Great finds! Pardon a stupid question: is the first photo a wolf or kayote mix or just your dog looking particularly fierce?

VegasJames

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 10:58:02 AM »

Nice!  The one in the bottom right is REALLY blue.  Great find and thanks for showing them!   :occasion14:

Yes that big blue was my most exciting find as I love blue chalcedony. Found some darker blues as well but the sky blue was my favorite.

VegasJames

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 11:16:16 AM »

Wow! Great finds! Pardon a stupid question: is the first photo a wolf or kayote mix or just your dog looking particularly fierce?

Jax is a blue heeler, although about half the size of a normal heeler.

Heelers are Australian cattle dogs that nip at the heels of cattle to herd them thus the name heeler. They are very smart, loyal and protective dogs. One guy was out hiking with his heeler and got injured and died. They found him three weeks later with his heeler still by his side. The dog died right after the funeral service for his dad.

Jax is actually extremely friendly though and she loves people. She would only bite if she thinks she is protecting me. She will chase people if moving fast though like running or on a bicycle, but that is just a game to her, she does not bite anyone. It is that herding mentality and she is trying to get them to go where she wants them to go.

Heelers were bred from the Australian dingo. A man domesticated the dingoes in the 1800s then bred in the Australian kelpie (another cattle dog) along with highland collie and dalmatian.

How can a face this sweet be mean? :LOLOL:

20160415_162333 by James Sloane, on Flickr

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 09:07:51 PM »

A true rock hound!  What a great picture of Jax.  That needs to be on a calendar or something!  At least make it the walllpaper on your computer.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

VegasJames

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 12:39:31 AM »

A true rock hound!  What a great picture of Jax.  That needs to be on a calendar or something!  At least make it the walllpaper on your computer.   :icon_sunny:

That pic is the wallpaper for my phone.

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 06:25:47 AM »

Excellent!  You get to take her everywhere with you.   :occasion14:
Robin

Michael

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 12:29:01 PM »

Wow! All haul-it-back worthy. The breccia in the last one is delicious. You planning on conducting surgery?

Hi James:

I noticed you collected some Lizard Stone.  If you like that, there is an abundance about 5 miles south of Wikieup on the right side.  It is about a mile in and you will see a dirt road leading in.  I have some in a box that I collected last October.  Have you cut and polished this stone before? Is it worth the time and effort?  Thanks!

VegasJames

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 01:43:12 AM »

Wow! All haul-it-back worthy. The breccia in the last one is delicious. You planning on conducting surgery?

Hi James:

I noticed you collected some Lizard Stone.  If you like that, there is an abundance about 5 miles south of Wikieup on the right side.  It is about a mile in and you will see a dirt road leading in.  I have some in a box that I collected last October.  Have you cut and polished this stone before? Is it worth the time and effort?  Thanks!

I have not worked with it at all. I have some other stone from Arizona I got in a trade years ago also listed as lizard stone but it is much lighter green.

I have heard a lot of debate about the material in the past some claiming it is hard and takes a great polish while others say it is soft and needs to be stabilized. I think the issue may be in the harder stone had a cap of more like a soft green "sandstone" for lack of a better term.

As for this stuff I was down there with our local gem club and one of the club members said that the dark green material does polish beautifully. I have not even had any time to get anything cut yet from the trip.

What I do know is that it was not easy to dig out.

ileney

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 07:46:35 PM »

Wow! Thank you for all that information. Very interesting. I had never heard of the heeler breed before but I know some people here in Maine with a farm and they too have herding dogs. They look nothing like the Australian ones though. I guess there were probably several breeds bred for herding in different locales. Theirs are extra large fluffy dogs with white hair, but very protective and wary of strange animals (they keep out wild animals from attacking the goats and ducks and such.)

VegasJames

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2019, 12:55:00 AM »

Wow! Thank you for all that information. Very interesting. I had never heard of the heeler breed before but I know some people here in Maine with a farm and they too have herding dogs. They look nothing like the Australian ones though. I guess there were probably several breeds bred for herding in different locales. Theirs are extra large fluffy dogs with white hair, but very protective and wary of strange animals (they keep out wild animals from attacking the goats and ducks and such.)

I had not ever heard of a heeler either until I found Jax. The white fluffy dogs sounds like an Australian sheep dog. My business partner had one she rescued who was deaf.

The heelers were bred from mainly Australian dogs starting with the dingo the guy domesticated. Then the Australian kelpie and highland collie, which I think is from Australia. Don't know where the dalmatian originated from, but they are the 4th part of the heeler.

ileney

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2019, 02:58:42 AM »

Wow! That looks like quite the haul.

Michael

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2019, 10:02:11 AM »

Great pictures and specimens James. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 54 queries.