Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No catagory for this but has stone.  (Read 4372 times)

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
No catagory for this but has stone.
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:41:04 AM »

I was inspired by the lady playing the Frank-O-Phone/jade music maker/lithosomething so I thought I would throw one together. WRONG. Not as easy as I thought. The way I have it set up now some of the jade pieces do not ring like the could so I have to try another way. I have an idea but it is going to take a little time to get it put together. One reason for the delay is the fact that I have lost the heavy gauge aluminum wire that I need for my new idea.

I believe that the problem is the cord cinched tight around the stone killing some of ability to vibrate. I am totally music illiterate so that doesn't help matters at all. I did not have enough pieces long enough from the stones that Frank gave to me and I had a problem coming up with other jade that is long enough. Strange, but I do not have even one piece of the Wyoming jade long enough to use either. Three of the pieces are from Frank though.

Babble, babble, babble. Sooo anyway here is what I have so far.

I will update this when the noise is a little better.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Re: No catagory for this but has stone.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 05:30:54 PM »

One of the problems that you might have is/are the drilled holes. I think, they are the ones who will change vibration and might even be the reason for sound overall. When you look at xylophones in general, and the video, the pieces are always on relative hard/solid material. Not suspended like a wind-chime. :icon_sunny: 
Anything not given, is lost.

wampidy

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:32:14 PM »

Three of the stones ring really well the way they are but they are the heavier ones and the other two ring great off the cord so I don't think the holes are the problem. As light as they are they have to be held in some way because they bounce all over the place. I have a plan for them to just drop down over pegs so they can not move but not be tied down. Waiting on bad weather to drive me inside. The weather here has been superb.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

Itsandbits

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 11:54:52 PM »

That's funny Jim, I've been playing with the same idea while I'm cutting LOL I had a whole bunch of ceramic tile pieces from the condo reno I'm doing and they work great laying on a piece of plastic coated wire.
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:23:33 AM »

I don't know if this is supposed to be serious or funny but it cracks me up just the same.  :)

wampidy

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 07:02:31 AM »

I can't believe that someone could think my post is funny. I shoot for hilarious so funny is an insult. In truth, if I make someone laugh my day is complete. If I come off sounding serious I apologize because I am off my game. I try my damnedest to stay up beat and inject humor in all I do but some days are tougher than others.

I could complain sometimes but seeing what Frank goes through on a daily basis and never has a cross word a complaint from me would seem ridiculous.

So, laugh your ass off even at my expense because maybe it will lift someones day and make this a fun place to be.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 01:47:48 AM »

I did, I laughed my ass off.  :P 

wampidy

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 07:45:10 PM »

Okay, maybe you can laugh some more if this video will post. My first video and my camera does not do sound well so not sure how this is all going to go down, or up, or whatever.

What I did was wrap the string around the wire so the stone is sitting on something soft and it improved the ringing a bunch. Some of the stones ring a lot better than others so the stone itself has a lot to do with it.

Here goes nothing. When I tried it it ran slow on the first play then played okay the second time.

Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

Itsandbits

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 11:40:44 PM »

Sorry Jim
I didn't know you were still working on this so I started another thread, maybe the moderators can combine the two.
You're going to get musical stone donations from everybody now LOL

rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

wampidy

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 08:59:23 AM »

No worries. We can work together on your thread and save some searching time.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 11:39:52 AM »

Hrm.
Not going to combine them...
But I will put them in the same spot.  Each thread has it's own individual merits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 48 queries.