Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: soldering problem in relation to Megasonic disentegrator  (Read 2397 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: soldering problem in relation to Megasonic disentegrator
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 09:03:13 PM »

I use grit trays. Loose grit in a pile with a water drip that is variable.I use very little water. The end of the stainless steel tray has a piece of hose cut on a bias on the down hill end to deliver the grit accurately.I have made these out of quart milk containers cut long ways duct taped to a dowel.

robirdman

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 07:08:02 AM »

I finally came back to this after I successfully soldered one tube to a bolt, and used a smaller tube directing the spray. I added SiC and got a spray going in balance with the uptake so the basin doesn't fill.  I think the instructions were lost in the 2010 fire I had.  I powered on, and wasn't sure how much power to use.  When I moved the dial farther to the right, everything went off, as the socket circuit breaker kicked in.  I reset and tried again not going beyond the blue level, bu
t I don't know how much intensity to use with the other meter, which goes up to 30.  I used the foot switch and held a stone under the tube but didn't seem to be noticing much if any vibration with the pump and power noise.  After I turned off and even unplugged, I was still hearing some noise in the power unit.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 07:20:23 AM »

If you can run it for testing with the pump off it would be less distracting.You can use a small plastic container of very wet grit and put the end of the bit in that. It is essentially the same as when you drill big flats  with my drill so there would be enough grit but no distracting noise.

robirdman

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 09:16:48 AM »

That's an idead. What kind of settings does your unit have and that you set?

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 03:33:56 PM »

If the bit isnt in the water grit mix it can sometimes vibrate itself off the horn. Mine is largely automatic but gouing too high will often not work. If the solder joint is bad that can stop the bit from vibrating even if it does not come off the horn. Do you solder your bits on or use acoustical washers?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 35 queries.