Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Disaster Peak Seam Agate - new find  (Read 7654 times)

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
Disaster Peak Seam Agate - new find
« on: May 28, 2017, 09:31:10 PM »

We have a new find - Disaster Peak Seam Agate.  We are both cutting this agate seam material and it looks really promising - a very pale lilac and white with all kinds of "stuff" going on.  This agate "rings" when we hit it and looks to be totally fracture free with just a few sugar spots, druzy spots and tiny vugs - probably less than 5% of the slab area though and at points the seam is nearly 3 feet across so we are getting some very big pieces.  I am using my 20 inch saw to cut slabs about 10 inches or more across and down to .2 inch thick without any breaking!

I am planning on doing ten knives to see how it polishes and I am putting some up for sale.  I will try to get some photos up tomorrow.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Disaster Peak Seam Agate - new find
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 11:31:24 PM »

Sounds tasty, can't wait for the pics

tkcaz

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »

Can't wait.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 07:17:19 PM »

Cutting this stone all day and it is a very good agate that is really solid.  Here are the photos of the first couple of slabs that I plan to put up on Ebay along with the smaller "cab size" pieces left over from cutting 10 sets of knife scales today.  I hope to have the knives finished in about a week to see just how this stone looks when finished.  It looks mostly like a pale lavender mixed with whites to me but both my partner and wife say it also has blue agate mixed in with the lavender.  I can't see pale blues in stone.  I brought back probably somewhat over 250 pounds of large pieces and my partner about 300 to 350 pounds as he has a 12 inch saw and took all of the smaller pieces.

In cutting the 10 sets of scales I did not find a single crack.  The only thing I found were small crystal filled vugs to work around.

I will post a link to one of the slabs and more photos later tonight.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 07:55:11 PM »

Here is a link to one of the slabs I listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272692928072?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

I have attached photos of the sets of scales I have cut today.  I will be preforming tomorrow and then on to fitting, adhesion, grinding, sanding, polishing......

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 06:44:07 AM »

It looks absolutely yummy!  What are the LxW of the slab you posted on Ebay? 

Great find!   :WEEEE:
Robin

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 08:33:33 AM »

It looks absolutely yummy!  What are the LxW of the slab you posted on Ebay? 

Great find!   :WEEEE:

About 5 by 3.5 inches.  I don't like to state measurements as slabs can have unusual shapes and exactly where one measures can make the possible square inches way off.  If you look, you will find one photo with a quarter on it to give you a good size reference.

It is over 650 miles one way to go to the dig site so determining if there is any real interest is important as I probably have enough to last me two decades for personal use on knives.  If there is interest my partner and I will make a trip down to recover an entire load and my tiny S-10 has a highly upgraded suspension which allows us to carry at least 1,300 pounds which is pretty much a full bed on the S-10.

Obviously the cost per slab or for rough will not be super cheap but there should be nearly no waste in the slabs as there are simply NO cracks in it.   It breaks like glass with much lighter than expected "hits" so it does not appear to get even edge stress type cracks in getting it small enough to pack out.....

cabjunky

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 02:28:08 AM »

Interesting material.  I like the color, and patern, and would think it would do well once people find the material.

southerly

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 03:14:39 AM »

Nice find Michael. Great to see you out fossicking.
David

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 08:23:05 AM »

Pretty Stuff !  I have what appears to be a similar stone that my father discovered near the Granite Creek area.

Looks like your slab sold quickly !.

Kaljaia

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 11:16:53 AM »

Really lovely stuff! Congrats on a new find of such quality, it's got very nice color and pattern.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

ChristopherAnthony

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 02:36:42 PM »

That is very nice looking material. I would be interested in rough chunks for slabbing if available

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 03:38:15 PM »

Let me known when/if you have this material available.  I'd be most interested in chunks that'll fit my 10-inch Lortone -- approx. 4-4.5 inches diameter.  Slabs also when available.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 09:30:52 AM »

Well the sad news is the lavender changes to beige and pinks when the stone dries out.  Even desert stone has some moisture content! I ended the Ebay listings when I saw the color change.  I will relist them with a photo of how the stone looks when dry and polished.

So here is how the stone looks when finished.

Orrum

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 11:10:25 AM »

A lot of the burro creek from Az looks purple until it sits in the sun for a day and then it is gray. Still attractive patterns tho.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 55 queries.