Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering purchase of DP Pixie  (Read 1897 times)

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
Considering purchase of DP Pixie
« on: February 19, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »

I just learned how to cab in October, and have taken advantage of shop time at our club as much as possible - which is 4 hours every Wednesday. I have used the DP Pixie, and Genie and several other machines there, and for my home use the Pixie would be is best.
I found a good price on the amlap.com website. Now for my questions!
I will be placing this unit in my art/craft/office room with its **new laminate floors***!!! but I think I found a solution to containing the water situation - which is to put it on a rolling cart:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-500-lbs-Capacity-Service-Cart-73002/204787186?MERCH=REC-_-rv_nav_plp_rr-_-NA-_-204787186-_-N
to not only keep the water inside the lip of the cart, but also to facilitate rolling the whole thing out to my patio to dump and rinse out (I am pretty good at lifting and tilting a full tray into the bucket at the club shop, but that floor is concrete and not my laminate!
Does this look feasible?
I may even put down a moving pad to catch any extra spray - any suggestions on floor protection are welcome too.
Last question: while my husband - and I - are pretty handy with all kinds of machinery, any caveats on the Pixie in terms of repairs and problems?
THX!!
My first cab is from a piece of jasper I found on the beach in Newport, OR my first Mother's Day, 1983. I made it into a bracelet for my daughter Christmas 2017.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Considering purchase of DP Pixie
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 01:40:43 PM »

Pixies are great little machines.  You shouldn't have any problems with maintaining it.  I've never used Amlap to purchase anything, so maybe someone who has can comment on their service.  That's a really good price.

The cart looks fine if you are planning on standing to do your cabbing.  I would make sure the height of the cart will be comfortable for you work at.  I'm unable to stand for long periods of time in one spot because of cracked tail bone, so I need to be sitting (I have a Genie).  I really don't think you're going to get much spray or water on your floor unless you spill by accident.  I have an old towel in front of the Genie to catch any drips  or spray and I keep a shop towel on my chair (or lap) to wipe off the cab while I'm working on it.  We have buckets in our studio to empty waste water and then take it outside to dump when it gets too full.

However you set it up to be the most comfortable and anything you put on your floor to protect it will be just fine.
Robin

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 03:22:33 PM »

The cart looks fine if you are planning on standing to do your cabbing.  I would make sure the height of the cart will be comfortable for you work at.  I'm unable to stand for long periods of time in one spot because of cracked tail bone, so I need to be sitting (I have a Genie).
I have thought about sitting with my feet on the bottom tray of the cart, something I wish I could do a tril run on! I stand the four hours at the club shop and it is brutal; I have back and foot problems, and do alot of groaning on the way home!!
Many thanks for your input, it is very encouraging!
My first cab is from a piece of jasper I found on the beach in Newport, OR my first Mother's Day, 1983. I made it into a bracelet for my daughter Christmas 2017.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 06:02:21 PM »

I have a Pixie that I use for special stuff (opal, turquoise, and you know special stuff).  It has its  own bubbler and you can adjust how much water hits the wheel so you are also controlling the splash.  Its a clean as it gets. Its also easy to move so you can set it up on any level you want (Costco has a little table that is quite adjustable as to height (sit, sit high, stand). Since the Pixie has its own self contained water supply you can position it anywhere you want.  I do like to change out the water often to reduce grit contamination but as long as you are on one type of rock that's probably only necessarily once per day or so.  In short you don't need to place it in a trough.  Why not place a beach towel on the floor if you see mist?
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »

Thank you Peruano - your input is greatly appreciated!!

Slabbercabber

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 02:31:32 PM »

The cart should work fine and will be handy for other machines that may splash.  You can raise the Pixie on a pair of 2 x 10s for easy access and sit on an industrial stool to get high enough.  (bar stool etc.)

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 07:31:43 PM »

Thank you Slabbercabber, I did not go with the Pixie (I upgraded to a Kingsley North 6" All Diamond unit (see my other post) but the cart is working wonderfully - except one small issue. I didn't realize how small the door opening is in my studio, so the cart was assembled and will live permanently in that room!

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 07:35:51 AM »

That's okay Cabbin - you're in good company. Henry Ford got the same surprise after he assembled his first car.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/henry-ford-test-drives-his-quadricycle

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 07:55:34 AM »

I have my cabbing machine on a cart out on my patio also.
Only downfall is the height of the cart and my neck hurting so badly after working on a rock all weekend.

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 06:19:13 PM »

I have my cabbing machine on a cart out on my patio also.
Only downfall is the height of the cart and my neck hurting so badly after working on a rock all weekend.
I had to play with the right chair and whether or not to cut down the legs of the cart...a bars stool turned out to be the right height, as I have neck-disc problems I don't want to exacerbate. I hope you find the right fit so you can enjoy!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 45 queries.