Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Indonesian Gem Silica  (Read 1987 times)

tntmom

• Global Moderator
Indonesian Gem Silica
« on: November 23, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »

I think many of you know where this material came from.  Miss him and hope he's ok.

This is Daniel's Indonesian Gem Silica.  I have several samples of different types of gem silica and the pankawana (if I spelled that correctly) from him.  I chose to cut the Chrysocolla stained Chalcedony with Chrysocolla plumes.  The plumes are very soft and the polish on this is a bit textured.  I tried several different techniques and I'm not sure it's possible to get solid glass shine on this.  If any of you have...... PLEASE tell me your secret, LOL!!!!!!

This is so amazing though with the thousands of tiny plumes.  It took me a very long time to bring myself to cut a piece of his material.  I was waiting for him to show up so that I could say "HEY!!!!!  Look what I just cut!!!!!"

~Krystee
https://www.facebook.com/kristine.gniot

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift.... That's why it's called The Present.

GoodEarth

• Global Moderator
Re: Indonesian Gem Silica
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »

Gorgeous stone, and good vibes towards bringing Daniel back to us!
PNW Rough Rock including
Olympic Poppy Jasper

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 09:12:37 PM »

Very beautiful!  :blob1: :blob1: :blob1:  You did a great job getting a shine on that material!   :headbang:

I'm hoping he is OK too.  Before he disappeared he never confirmed his mailing address with me.  I'm not about to ship internationally the bracelet he commissioned me to make if I don't have a confirmed address!  If I can confirm his address then I will ship it and pray it makes it to him, as it has a huge Pancawarna stone in it.

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 10:01:30 PM »

Finally, someone actually worked it.  :icon_sunny: Had been watching for this material to turn up since he shipped them out. Still got my two pieces and dont dare to cut into yet.
Anything not given, is lost.

tntmom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 12:19:12 AM »

Very beautiful!  :blob1: :blob1: :blob1:  You did a great job getting a shine on that material!   :headbang:

I'm hoping he is OK too.  Before he disappeared he never confirmed his mailing address with me.  I'm not about to ship internationally the bracelet he commissioned me to make if I don't have a confirmed address!  If I can confirm his address then I will ship it and pray it makes it to him, as it has a huge Pancawarna stone in it.

Ah!!!  1 letter mispelled and 1 missing in Pancawarna!!!  I knew I was close but just couldn't remember, lol!

~Krystee

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift.... That's why it's called The Present.

tntmom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 12:23:39 AM »

Finally, someone actually worked it.  :icon_sunny: Had been watching for this material to turn up since he shipped them out. Still got my two pieces and dont dare to cut into yet.

Kurt,  I think this would be amazing carving material.  Much less tendency to undercut than me using my wheels or disks.  Just saying.......  PLEASE???   :hello: :hello2: :thumbsup:

~Krystee

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 01:44:17 AM »

My material has less plumes and I also got dark material within the piece.
That stuff is expensive, so I really need to have a proper vision for it before I would consider cutting into.

Itsandbits

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 10:49:56 AM »

Hope you don't mind me putting this here Krystee; you did a beautifull job with it. I found it really easy to work with and took a great shine.
A cab I did just after getting the material

A cab of the darker gem silica; still had some scratches to go back and work out here

high magnification of the plumes

rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 11:09:46 AM »

I like the magnification photos of the plumes!  Thanks for sharing!   :headbang:

tntmom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 12:47:25 PM »

Love it Lloyd!!!  Did you have any problems with the tips of the plumes slightly undercutting?

~Krystee

Itsandbits

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 02:48:52 PM »

I don't think so Krystee but I'm not the shinemeister you are :) I have the cab in front of me and have looked at it highly magnified and there doesn't seem to be any problem
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 05:45:06 PM »

Yhea, the second cab shows material closer to mine.
Will have to try eventually..... :icon_tongue:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 49 queries.