Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking pics in morning sunlight with Canon EOS: Oco agates  (Read 2436 times)

EmeraldEyes

Taking pics in morning sunlight with Canon EOS: Oco agates
« on: September 29, 2019, 02:31:49 PM »

:hello:

Still trying to work with F-stop and sunlight: the first I used 7.1 for F-stop on Canon EOS 70D, I do not know how much is due to my shaky hands - even though I do my best to hold the camera steady by bracing my head on the eye piece, and holding the lens. I also have a small flexible leg tripod that works ok.

IMG_0768 - Copy.JPG
*IMG_0768 - Copy.JPG (365.79 kB . 1000x571 - viewed 300 times)

IMG_0766 - Copy.JPG
*IMG_0766 - Copy.JPG (639.09 kB . 1000x789 - viewed 307 times)

55fossil

Re: Taking pics in morning sunlight with Canon EOS: Oco agates
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 02:41:20 PM »

Nothing wrong with those pics.   Try different background colors.  Amazing what white, grey or black can do to change the picture and show the stone better.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Taking pics in morning sunlight with Canon EOS: Oco agates
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 11:34:35 PM »

They look good but it depends on what you are trying to achieve in the pics.  Both pics are of Geodes and because of the depth of the crystals your focus is shallow because you are using a low fstop.  Increase your fstop to get more depth of field.  Some of the issues can be the lens you are using also.  Going with a wide lens like 35 or 50mm helps and you can get good 50mm 1:1 lens relatively affordably. Always shoot tripod when shooting stones since they don't move so it makes it easier with a longer exposure at a higher F stop.  At low fstops your focal range may only be 1/16" or less making things like geodes a nightmare.  Remember that if you are using any type of zoom and are zoomed in you are going to be less successful than if you zoom out and take a crisper picture and crop the image after.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 32 queries.