Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lortone saw blade  (Read 1824 times)

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
Lortone saw blade
« on: October 02, 2016, 03:39:30 PM »

Curious those of you that have a Lortone saw are using a blade like the one that came with mine (as photoed). The blade is 1/8" thick with wide spaced notches.

The saw and blade are new, I purchased used a year or so ago and is old stock. The family I purchased from said it owner had bought about 15 years prior so I don't know if this is a standard blade or not. Every blade I've used is thinner so less waste and the oil stays cleaner longer.

What say ye ??

Jhon P

Re: Lortone saw blade
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 04:19:59 PM »

It looks like a tile saw blade to me?  Is there any markings on the blade ? It should still cut ok just a little thick

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 05:31:13 PM »

Id check out that blade carefully.  If its a concrete or masonary blade, use if for target practice.  They are totally unsuited for labidary work and can be dangerous when they come apart.  If it really is a lapidary blade fine, but I'm suspect.  What size is the saw?  If its realy a lortone issue, you should be able to find a photo that matches it.  I'm no expert on blades, but there are people here who are.  Listen to their advice if you can afford to. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 04:46:01 AM »

Go ahead and try it.  There is no safety issue.  The difference between blades is the hardness of the binder.  Harder materials need a softer matrix.  If it is a concrete or tile blade the harder matrix will allow the diamond to wear out without releasing it.  The blade will then cease to cut and will require dressing.  You can still use it, you just need to keep dressing it to make it work. 

Jhon P

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 12:38:44 PM »

I have a 10" tile saw that I am always cutting rocks with.  With a good Home Depot tile saw blade. I preform smaller spheres, cut smaller geodes, I will preform cabs, I will Even  slice small rocks. The blade runs at a much higher speed than the rocks saws that I have. (I have a 6", a 10" a 18", and a 24" saw) The only problem I have had was bending a couple of blades when a rock shifted and jammed the blade. 
I have never had a blade come apart, I think that they are stronger than most rock saw blade because of the high speed.  Some of the hard rock will protest bring cut and can gall the blade and you have to dress it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 35 queries.