Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 24 inch Covington, any thoughts on quality ???  (Read 2744 times)

55fossil

24 inch Covington, any thoughts on quality ???
« on: June 23, 2017, 03:43:45 PM »

I am looking at purchasing a lightly used 24 inch Covington. Price is not cheap but fair. But I do not know a darn thing about Covington saws.  Anyone have any experience with the bigger units like this?  From pictures I cannot tell if the carriage is all bearing mounted or just slides on rail. Also wondering if it uses an oil pump or just splashes oil with blade. It is not like what I am use to but that does not make it bad. So, advice and wisdom please....

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
Re: 24 inch Covington, any thoughts on quality ???
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »

kingsleynorth has a right answer for you.  906-563-9228    www.kingsleynorth.com
Silicate life form

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 11:36:23 AM »

Not sure what your reply means. I get their sales material but I do not think they are in the advice business. If they do have a forum with tips then I missed it and would like to know of it.  thanks either way

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 01:45:33 PM »

Covington is a good company.  I have no direct experience with the 24' but indeed have some feelings about the 14" that may be relevant to your thinking.  The 14 uses a secondary motor for the feed drive.  It also deploys a somewhat perplexing clutch in that feed screw setup.  It more or less works like an automotive clutch with two plates contacting with various degrees of friction depending on how tight a spring is adjusted.  This ideally is to allow the clutch to slip when the saw binds, or is pushing too fast against a stone that is hard or when using a blade that is too dull.  When it works it works.  When it needs adjustment (perhaps for special sawing situations) it can be a bit frustrating.  However, you can call Covington and their tech or ? person will take the time to talk to you about the eccentricities of adjustment. 
I'd certainly buy a Covington if the price was right and if . . . there wasn't a vintage HP standing beside it at the same price. 
Please understand this is based on a distinct model but some features like the feed mechanism are like to be the same.  I hope this helps. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »

Thanks, good input. I actually know of a 24 HP that is a much longer drive for less money. But, there are more considerations than a name. I can see and touch the Covington. Feel the bearings and all that stuff. The HP is very old and may even be in really good shape. But an all day drive to find out the HP may be a dud is not in my plans if the Covington turns out to be very nice...  thanks again,  neal

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 08:12:05 PM »

If you are buying a big saw, you probably are spending a lot.  Take the drive and look at the HP too.  Grab the vice on both saws and see if they move in any direction they shouldn't.  Check out the motors.  By checking you won't be kicking yourself later with the "I should of...".
Steve

55fossil

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 06:23:16 AM »

Yep, did that.  HP's are good but a like new Covington 24 inch was too good of a deal. thanks

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 03:43:46 PM »

I bought their budget 16" 10 years ago. It works OK since I don't use it every day. The issue I had with it was there were vise parts that were made of aluminum so there were wear issues. I retrofitted and fixed the issue but required some serious time and effort.

The better model that was available at that time was twice the price and I couldn't justify the over $3000 price for my usage level.

I have Covington however for my trim saw and grinding wheel units and they are excellent.

If you are checking out slab saws from them I would inquire if they have aluminum parts that move and wear.

Lortone also uses aluminum vise parts BUT there are replaceable bronze bushings which help to solve slop issues.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 05:32:13 PM »

have them fire it up and cut a couple slabs for you. Then watch how well everything works or doesn't. I've owned both 18 and 24 inch covingtons, bought them used, and did a litttle maintenance. Had no problems after that. 
Covington's table top 14 is nothing like their 18 and 24 inch units. If a 14 is set up right and not messed with (our local senior center has one, and someone decided he had to adjust everything. I'm not sure the saw has worked right since). It was set up perfectly, so it can be done.  They put on a concrete blade.... and burnt up the motor. Then they replaced the motor with the wrong one. so they tried everything to get it back to where it had been set, but they don't have the smarts to do so.  My point? Don't do what they did.
I'd have no problems buying and using that saw, but I would have them fire it up and show you it has no problems. Oh.. don't skimp on a blade, buy one of Covingtons or a MK 30? that's best for your needs. Good Luck!
Can you post pics?

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 05:34:07 PM »

Where are you? Maybe someone can help?

55fossil

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 06:17:40 AM »

Bought the 24 inch Covington.  It is the better quality with the long vice, 220 Volt motor but only 1 HP. I will at some point put a larger motor on it, maybe.  It cuts great after a little TLC. It is 10 years old but only wore out two saw blades and looks like brand new. I received a referral from someone that new someone and it was only a couple hours away.

I also found a very old and tired Frantom 18 inch. Pulled out all the running gear and purchased a few replacement parts from the new Highland Park saw folks. After two days of alignments it cuts like a dream. This was a referral from the Forum on a saw several hours away on Craigs List. It looked like heck in the photo and was very tired. But for $1,200 and my labor I now have a great saw that is tough as nails...

thank you all,  Neal

Slabbercabber

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 09:15:21 AM »

I think you will find that one hp is more than adequate for a 24" saw.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 10:13:24 AM »

yep. 1 hp is plenty.

Spirit Bear Beads

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »

I have 2 Covington saws, a 16 and an 18.  They both work fine...   I also have an older HP and a drop saw that Phil built..    ALL SAWS have their quirks.   Good bad and otherwise.  Covingtons are good basic saws...  they have one or two bad design flaws,  but then so does the HP and Phils saw...  I don't think any saw will always be trouble free..  If its a good buy get it and learn from the saw... 

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 02:23:24 PM »

oh oh.. what's wrong with mine? I'm not building any more, but is it something I need to fix?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 55 queries.