Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First saw (Highland Park E2 I think).  (Read 734 times)

Rolley-Hole-Man

First saw (Highland Park E2 I think).
« on: February 18, 2024, 12:24:08 PM »

Hey all, first time posting. I found this forum when trying to find more info/ tips on the saw I just picked up.

A little background, but I make marbles for the regional game of marbles called "Rolley Hole". For those interested, there's a lot of info online in video and text format. I'll try not to make this a marble thread.

All I need the saw to do is cut 1sq" in cubes to shape into spheres and then spin them into good marbles. We don't use the sphere machines of anything fancy like that.

So far the saw is good, but I'm looking for cheap 10" blade recommendations (I think this has a 7" on it), and am looking to find the original feed system/clamp. I guess I don't really need the auto feed, but it would be cool to have something like that for when it's cold outside.

Any other saw info would be cool. I found the old add for mine, which says it's model E2. It has the large base with the built-in motor mount. Construction seems to all be cast aluminum.

55fossil

Re: First saw (Highland Park E2 I think).
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 02:39:16 PM »

welcome.   A near golden rule here is pictures help and good pictures can really help. Pretty easy to load pictures here so I will look forward to seeing a picture of your new saw.

Rolley-Hole-Man

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 05:45:22 PM »

Let's try this : https://imgur.com/a/vivmD7u

I keep trying to upload images , but I get errors for images being too large. I now have a issue with the phone freezing up. It's kinda a mess. Hopefully you all can see the saw through the link.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 04:53:37 PM »

Until quite recently I used only the " mean green " ten inch blade on my tile saw for cutting preforms. They are fine blades and were cheap.Kingsley north has HSP blades which are inexpensive  and seem fine to me. Neither of these blades is slab saw quality  but as trim sw blades they are fine . The Highland Park green blade is not the mean green blade.Please educate us on your method of marble preforming please. I used to spin them on a piece of pipe and a grinding wheel as was standard 50 years ago but maybe you have some new ideas. Good luck.

Rolley-Hole-Man

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 09:54:07 PM »

Until quite recently I used only the " mean green " ten inch blade on my tile saw for cutting preforms. They are fine blades and were cheap.Kingsley north has HSP blades which are inexpensive  and seem fine to me. Neither of these blades is slab saw quality  but as trim sw blades they are fine . The Highland Park green blade is not the mean green blade.Please educate us on your method of marble preforming please. I used to spin them on a piece of pipe and a grinding wheel as was standard 50 years ago but maybe you have some new ideas. Good luck.

Thank you for your suggestions. I’ll look into them tomorrow when I have the usual down time at work.

As for my making of marbles, I use only the methods common in the area of Clay and Overton County Tennessee, and Monroe County Kentucky. These areas are the heart of marble country where the game of “Rolley Hole” is still a regional pastime.

I learned marble making from those who learned it from Bud Garret, a locally famous blues musician, marble maker, and marble player. Back in the 1940s or so, Bud was making marbles using what I’ve heard called a “marble machine”. I have seen photos of him holding various contraptions but have gotten no description as to what they were or what they did.

Before Bud, locals were knapping spheres and placing them in holes in streams or mobile grinding stones which were placed under waterfalls. Bud Changed all that.

What Bud had, and what I recreated, was simply a belt drive bench grinder powered by a washing machine electric motor. I personally have a a setup with two belt grinders powered by a General Electric washing machine motor, and for fun this setup is also powered by a Brigs and Stratton WMB washing machine gas engine.

I start by finding my material in the local streams, and I cut it into cubes using at first a tile saw, and now this proper saw. Each cube I want to be around 1sq”. From there I grind this cube into a cylinder using a 60 grit diamond wheel (in need of replacing). With the cylinder I then cone off the top and bottom to make it more and more marble shaped. If all goes well I can have a marble in an hour. What takes time is spinning it to size and spec. Some guys are very hardcore about this, others just spin it until it looks round and then call it quits. Some makers leave blemishes and pits, while others toss these marbles aside as junk. Marble making has gotten more and more refined and precise.

You can also grind the cube by rounding off the corners and shaping it that way, but I’ve lost the ability to do this timely and need to be retaught.

Anyways, when I have my rough sphere I spin it in various cups I’ve made from either old grinding wheels or diamond blade dressing sticks (the best option). I spin these using a rubber wheel and touch up the marble with a grinding wheel as needed. Most marbles I make will be around .75-.85 depending on what I’m feeling like. If my material isn’t the best for shooting but is pretty, I’ll leave the marble bigger (for the tourists and non players to buy). If a marble is good for play I’ll make it a proper size, or leave it at around .80 so if anyone wants it, I can make it to the size they want. Finish varies on the player and what they want, but for slick marbles I spin them in the granite polishing pads found on eBay.

I have sold a good bit of marbles, but I only sell them to offset the cost of buying tools. I’ve given a lot of marbles away as well.

To us out here, it’s more than a game. It’s a craft and a tradition, and we love a good clean game of marbles on the Rolley Hole Yard.

It’s one of those things that just has to be experienced. I frequently talk about my work in Rolley Hole on job interviews and people usually don’t care much for it, and at most state parks people will know me as “the marble guy”. So I’ll hold back from going on and on.

If you or anyone want to really get into learning about Rolley Hole, I have some very in-depth threads about gameplay and marble making on a forum called “the marble connection”. There’s also a video playlist on YouTube that i put together with old news coverage, marble making videos (by others), etc.

Rolley-Hole-Man

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 09:57:10 PM »

As usual I made a wall of text. I’m just a simple man who loves marbles.

Material I use is chalcedony from the local area. There’s lots of colors and variations but since I’m not a geologist and often confuse myself, I just go with the blanket term of “quartz”. It has to be cryprocrystaline and not microcrystalline.

When pushing more east where I live now, I can’t find this prime material anymore. So at the moment my saw will sit silent until I go back to middle Tennessee and find material.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 33 queries.