Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting Oil Situation ??  (Read 1370 times)

ivanhoe

Cutting Oil Situation ??
« on: February 18, 2018, 04:36:06 PM »

Dear Friends .... This may have been discussed somewhat an I appreciate your patience & understanding concerning this matter. I drained the Light Mineral Oil from a small 12" slab saw and filtered it through several brown paper bags. The muck was removed, however the oil did not clear up.

Seems as though an ultra fine dark suspension of matter may be still left in fluid discoloring it. Otherwise the filtered fluid looks to be reusable? Would like to what others say about this? Thank you very much!  IV USAF 62-66

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Cutting Oil Situation ??
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 05:28:41 PM »

Hello - again.

I just went through this on my LS-12. The oil didn't have the same clarity after filtering through bags. It still worked just fine when I put it back into the saw.

As another member replied in the original thread containing this question, some materials leave a permanent discoloration in saw oil. I cut some old estate chrysocolla once that colored my oil blue-green. Even though the rough didn't show the typical signs of dye treatment, I always assumed someone had treated that rough with "Tidy-Bowl".

ivanhoe

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 06:16:26 PM »

Hello - again.

I just went through this on my LS-12. The oil didn't have the same clarity after filtering through bags. It still worked just fine when I put it back into the saw.

As another member replied in the original thread containing this question, some materials leave a permanent discoloration in saw oil. I cut some old estate chrysocolla once that colored my oil blue-green. Even though the rough didn't show the typical signs of dye treatment, I always assumed someone had treated that rough with "Tidy-Bowl".

That's interesting and explains what has happened as you and the other member were so gracious in answering. Glad to hear that this coolant can be reused. Just have to get used to the black ink color.   

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 09:28:59 AM »

Not all brown paper bags do a good job. Some let small particles thru and some filter very well. Next time, try different bags till you find some god ones. I had to try 3 different supermarkets till I found some that worked.
Even tho it came out with color and small particles, it's OK to use. Much better than what you took out. You'll put worse back in the first time you cut anyway. You're good to go!
You can always filter it again using a different bag if the black really bothers you, but as was already posted, some rocks do permanently discolor oil and the color won't filter out. I'd take a small amount, maybe a quart, and use it to try and find better bags and see if the color gets caught.  As you'll be adding new oil to top it off, eventually the color will fade, but it'll be a long time.... maybe you'll get lucky with better bags and the next filter job. I once cut up some nice bumblebee jasper and it turned my oil yellow, crystal clear, but just like I had added a yellow dye.
If the "color" settles out when you let the saw sit, it'll filter. If it never settles out, it's probably thre for good.

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »

Lots of things will dye the oil, black is one of the hardest to get out. Do not cut any porus type materials with your black oil as they may absorb some of the black dye. (unless of course you want to change them! You could make some tuxedo agate.)

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 35 queries.