Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Up Satate Ny Gem Prospecting or day trips  (Read 3290 times)

ASO

Up Satate Ny Gem Prospecting or day trips
« on: September 20, 2017, 04:35:51 PM »

Any one from the north east have any good places to do any gem prospecting within 3h or so from say Albany NY.  I know some spots that are a bit farther away but it makes for a long day trip.  I would love to find my grandpas old Aquamarine pocket up in the Adirondacks that he found back in the day when he was prospecting for uranium. 

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Up State Ny Gem Prospecting or day trips
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:19:14 PM »

I  suspect there is more on the east coast than is recognized.I collected around the mid Atlantic states and New England and grew up in a mining town in New Jersey (iron  and very deep). One of the iron mine dumps had excellent sunstone  and if you had the gumption to sneak in you could collect lots. Hey I was a kid. A local highway cut had excellent pink green and yellow granite.Now I live on the west coast in a place where hordes have collected for decades and we are constantly finding surprises.I agree with the adage that half the fun is looking.

ASO

Re: Up Satate Ny Gem Prospecting or day trips
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »

Thanks for the feed back I have gold prospected for years in New England and sometimes find gems in different areas but nothing like going down south or out west.  I like Maine for gold and gems but its a bit far for a day trip.  I know we have some good spots in NY but I don't have time to go around with the rock hounding clubs to find them.  The old Atlas or (Overlook) Quarry interests me and I heard the owner grants access but my directions aren't good and I haven't managed to find it yet.  We have some scattered pegmatites but they are few and far between. 

edgarscale

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 09:45:41 PM »

Any one from the north east have any good places to do any gem prospecting within 3h or so from say Albany NY.  I know some spots that are a bit farther away but it makes for a long day trip.  I would love to find my grandpas old Aquamarine pocket up in the Adirondacks that he found back in the day when he was prospecting for uranium. 
hi there, hubby and i are off to herkimer, ny area....do you now of any BLM public sites or other sites to prospect on..or nearby gem site to dig and camp ground for a small rv?   it's exhausting for me to peruse a lot of of these topics/posts in our massive library here, mary

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 03:25:44 PM »

Upstate NY is a big area - I'm originally from near Rochester.

Biggest things I can think of for the three hour limit...
Herkimer county for the quartz crystal pockets.
Lots of outcroppings of fossils in the Adirondacks.  Old garnet mines in those mountains too, and folks have found Labradorite in some of those old garnet mines.

The bedrock in that area of the state tends to be relatively old.  Going through the Adirondacks you will find road cuts with a lot of weird folded rock that was metamorphosed sometime in it's past, who knows what you might find there.

edgarscale

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 06:19:24 PM »

thank you everyone,  excellent ideas.  tried to book for july 4th the weekend but they are booked solid in herkeimer.........next stop is louisville kentucky  for 10 days..then Illinois lastly Michigan.    as always a big thank you, EVERY thing you've give here is greatly appreciated, mary...

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 38 queries.