Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first silver work  (Read 2320 times)

MurphyStone

My first silver work
« on: July 18, 2016, 05:36:51 AM »

Well my first three silver pieces turned out pretty well I am happy with them.  Being self taught I am guessing I am making mistakes or doing stuff wrong.  Any suggestions for a book or instructional DVD on silversmithing.

Also what about torch heads, I am using the just acetylene smiths torch, the head on it is a 01-180 I am thinking I should have a 0 or 00? 

Thanks

Jhon P

Re: My first silver work
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 07:30:20 AM »

Very nice. Good job for your first pieces.
You may look at Silver Spectrum by John Michael  and the complete metal smith by Tim McCreight

Orrum

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 10:18:05 AM »

Yes you need a wide selection of tips. Acetylene is good too.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »

I use the Smith Acetylene and air torch and an 00, 0, 2 and 4 tips.  I have the 0 and 00 tips on 90% of the time since they are perfect for pendants and rings that don't have enough mass to need the bigger tips.  Nice work for your first attempts.  A tip on the bails, make sure the size of bail is strong enough for the weight of the pendant, I have seen small jump rings wear almost thru from chain friction and then the repair can be a pain.

MurphyStone

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 07:21:26 AM »

I use the Smith Acetylene and air torch and an 00, 0, 2 and 4 tips.  I have the 0 and 00 tips on 90% of the time since they are perfect for pendants and rings that don't have enough mass to need the bigger tips.  Nice work for your first attempts.  A tip on the bails, make sure the size of bail is strong enough for the weight of the pendant, I have seen small jump rings wear almost thru from chain friction and then the repair can be a pain.

Thanks, yes the bails have been my arch enemy,  I tried to do them different more creative, after 5 hours of failures and pickles, i opted to grab the 5.5mm jump rings.  Thanks i'll be sure to shore up the potential weakness in the future.    Sounds like I have the same torch with the single "B" tank.  I'll order some smaller tips with my next Rio order. 

Jhon P

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 10:57:20 AM »

A simple bail, use a low dome half round wire. Roll a loop and file the angle so it fits neatly, I use a larger round nose pliers and solder the flat side to the back of the bezel and i solder the loop together

zurn

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 12:45:29 PM »

nice work
I like the way you left the green chatoyant cab open on one side
nice touch
I'm kinda struggling with soldering very inconsistent
maybe i should get a Smith gas /air as well
I'm using the little torch acetylene
by the way what is that green chatoyant stone
I just got a parcel of slabs and one of them was the same as you have there
again nice work
Anthony

Jhon P

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 03:04:57 PM »

Clear creek california jadeite with a lot of the crystal jadeite.
When soldering I heat the whole piece evenly, always keep the torch moving and find the sweet spot In The flame for the best heat. Sometimes I use a wire rack and heat from the bottom.  I will still melt a bezel wire once in a while if I get in a hurry
You can make the bail the same way with the same silver you use for the bezel. I will use scrap pieces an cut it to shape and bend a loop and leave a tail to solder to the bezel back or you can leave enough metal on the bezel back and cut to snap and roll a loop for a bail. I get lazy and use the low dome wire   It's easier. Maybe some one else can explain soldering better than I did. Rio grande has instruction videos that may help. If you can see it done it may help

zurn

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »

I made a couple bezels this morning
Both came out pretty good
I think I was rushing it
Little patience goes a long way

Thanks John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 43 queries.