Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polishing on a faceting machine?  (Read 1948 times)

denverkris

Polishing on a faceting machine?
« on: September 28, 2018, 12:31:20 PM »

Hi all, my husband has a Graves Mark IV faceter, but since it sits in my workshop that means I get to use it :). What can I use this for? Polishing the backs of cabs? Anything else? What types of discs should I buy for it? I've tried looking through the 8" flat lap choices and I just don't know :/

TIA

Ryaly2dogs

Re: Polishing on a faceting machine?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 04:04:04 PM »

The one thing you want want to consider is the motor that drives the faceter isn't designed to take too much resistance, since the grinding/polishing of a faceted stone does not present too much friction.  So be careful not to overwork the smaller motor on this faceter.  I myself have used my old grandpa's faceter for a similar purpose, applying gentle pressure only using the numerous Crystalite discs that came with the faceter starting with the coarsest and proceeding to the finest.  You can piurchase new disks by visiting any numbre of lapidary suppliers, I oftern use Kingsley-North who sells the replacement Crystalite disks in their standard catalogs (URL is:  https://www.kingsleynorth.com/). 

Since that time, I acquired a used 8-inch Ameritool flat lap for a VERY nominal price off Craislist that is more designed for the what you are seeking.  Bon chance!

latte

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 06:57:40 PM »

It is possible to buy lap toppers such as:
http://www.jsgemslapidary.com/diamond-facet-lap/
https://www.kingsleynorth.com/skshop/product.php?id=105181&catID=1041
that are used with a master lap and won't break the bank while you are trying
to decide if this is a good idea.

denverkris

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 08:23:25 AM »

Ok, I guess I should have been more clear. I already have a 6" cab machine with 80-3000 grits over 6 wheels. I'm also refurbishing a 2 place Lortone SA-8. So I don't need to fully create a cab on this, maybe just do some touch up polishing or something on ones I've made on the other machines. Like maybe sand/polish the back of the cab with it? Because I'm not sure how else (or even if?) I'm supposed to that?

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 11:53:56 PM »

Sure, you could use the faceting machine as a flat lap for the backs.  Use a master lap and toppers or buy the 8" plastic laps with the diamond resin laps (what I use) to do the backs of your cabs and touch up work.  Some people finish the backs and some don't.  I almost always polish the back unless I'm personally going to use the cab in a silver setting and the back won't show.  Then I will finish it to maybe 600 grit and be done with it.
Robin

denverkris

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 08:14:39 AM »

Thanks hummingbirdstones, can you give me a link from Kingsley or something to what you're talking about? I looked through their catalog but super sure what I should get. My husband does have some plastic laps he says are for polishing, one is blue and has white lines running through it?

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Robin

denverkris

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »

Awesome, thank you so much!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 38 queries.