Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Agate Slab Lanterns  (Read 1631 times)

Kaljaia

Agate Slab Lanterns
« on: July 22, 2019, 08:01:11 AM »

I love this moss I've gotten into, but it's not very solid. Variable hardness and a few big fractures, so am finding other things to make with it. It isn't quite utilitarian jewelry or rock carving :P not sure where to put it. But it does involve rock!

I love candle holders but am not attracted to the light-up agate slab pillars or rock-with-a-bulb stuff usually listed as "agate lanterns." So I'm making these instead, apparently. We'll see how well they hold up to being used for candles or LED lights! It's not easy to find a rock big enough, and solid enough, and translucent enough, for this but that's what makes it fun, right?
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

rocks2dust

Re: Agate Slab Lanterns
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 09:29:12 AM »

Those are fabulous!

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 03:25:44 PM »

Those are excellent! As you said, much better looking than the typical stuff out there.

I'd be tempted to buy one and put a light socket in it.

VegasJames

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 04:04:00 PM »

Very nice. I was thinking about doing something similar by casting my red selenite crystals in cement then slabbing the blocks. The red selenite is beautiful polished up.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 08:40:11 PM »

Erika, those are awesome!   :WEEEE:
Robin

Stonemon

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 09:40:34 PM »

What Robin said! A couple of questions.... Where are you sourcing the lantern metal? Are you doing the metal or finding them somewhere? Are you polishing the slabs? They look great and I am thinking this would be a great use for some of the material that I cannot get cabs out of. Personal use only of course.
Very nice!

Bill

Kaljaia

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 11:25:10 PM »

Thanks for the kind words folks, glad you like them!

What Robin said! A couple of questions.... Where are you sourcing the lantern metal? Are you doing the metal or finding them somewhere? Are you polishing the slabs? They look great and I am thinking this would be a great use for some of the material that I cannot get cabs out of. Personal use only of course.
Very nice!

The lanterns are Hobby Lobby candle holder lanterns. I'm swapping the glass panels for agate slabs. If you're buying lanterns there, check the glass is held in by bent tabs and removable. The more expensive ones have non-removable glass :P I'm not polishing the slabs, as the material isn't flawless and I don't have a flat lap or belt sander yet and I'm finding out that genies are not the best tool in the shed for polishing large flat areas... the red moss is thick enough it probably could hold up, but the green moss slabs are very thin and the material has some fractures and pitting. Polishing would probably increase the translucence.

- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

edgarscale

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 05:56:16 PM »

beautiful

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Sandsave

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 06:37:26 PM »

Pretty cool, I might try something similar..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 43 queries.