Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grain in jade  (Read 2595 times)

Pebblehopper

Grain in jade
« on: July 25, 2016, 09:40:49 PM »

I understand there is a "grain" in jade.
1.) How is the grain direction determined?
2. For a low relief carving which grain direction should be used?
This is the piece of jade I'll be slicing a slab off of to carve. One picture is of the "end" of the rough and the other is of the "side" (90 degrees from each other)...which way should I cut?
 (End cut)
 (Side cut)

Keep calm and hammer on!

Pebblehopper

Re: Grain in jade
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 09:44:40 PM »

Well, those images didn't translate too well here, just use your photoshop brain to reduce the glare and increase the green intensity

Keep calm and hammer on!

Jhon P

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:50:23 AM »

If you have a place on the rock where you can polish three corners you can get an idea what side will take the best polish and cut it so that side is facing the direction of the front.
 There may be a better way but that is the one I know

Pebblehopper

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 02:58:35 PM »

If you have a place on the rock where you can polish three corners you can get an idea what side will take the best polish and cut it so that side is facing the direction of the front.
 There may be a better way but that is the one I know
Do you know if getting the grain right is an issue for polishing or a structural function for the carving?

Keep calm and hammer on!

Jhon P

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 08:00:03 PM »

I think it is for getting the best polish if you are cutting a cab or carving a slab.
I know just enough to be dangerous. There are others with more knowledge than me

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 10:37:24 PM »

It would take a book to explain it all and there are probably a lot of books written.  The problem is explaining it is VERY difficult.  A great deal of Jade can be cut in any direction with great looks; being able to be cut 1/8 inch easily and polishing easily and then there are the swirled pieces that vex you in polishing and schistic ones that vex you in the cutting.

The best thing to do is to do a test cut and polish on two sides.  One will usually look and cut much better than the other on a directional Jade.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 10:44:39 PM »

The piece in the photos looks to have some serious root structures that are often very weakly bonded and a couple of pressure cracks on the outside.  The heart looks good and I cannot see any grain issues from the photos.  Look at the edges where the cuts meet.  One slightly shows and looks "crisp" which is a very good sign.  Schistic Jades usually chip out a lot at the line two cuts make an edge.

Pebblehopper

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 06:06:29 PM »

The piece in the photos loos to have some serious root structures that are often very weakly bonded and a couple of pressure cracks on the outside.  The heart looks good and I cannot see any grain issues from the photos.  Look at the edges where the cuts meet.  One slightly shows and looks "crisp" which is a very good sign.  Schistic Jades usually chips out a lot at the line two cuts make an edge.
Thank you, will do...now it's time to just dig in and learn by doing. Thanks for the heads up.

Keep calm and hammer on!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 41 queries.