Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Lapiddary Band Saws give the least trouble?  (Read 1754 times)

Michael

Which Lapiddary Band Saws give the least trouble?
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:21:40 AM »

I am considering buying a lapidary band saw, and was wondering about opinions on this forum.  Which have the least blade breaks, and general wear and tear issues.  Any opinions are gratefully appreciated.  Thanks

Mike

Jhon P

Re: Which Lapiddary Band Saws give the least trouble?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 12:45:26 PM »

Micheal Hoover uses a band saw. I know the blades don’t last long.
I prefer a ring saw. What are planning on cutting? I think the band saw has a thinner cut than the ring saw with a mega blade

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 05:02:22 PM »

Band saws are expensive to use even buying the blades wholesale.  In addition they require a lot of maintenance in tracking: guides; lower wheel bearing wear and upper wheel blade throw off.  Blades really only last about an hour in cutting 1/4 inch thick Agate - maybe 30 inches to 40 inches.

Unless you plan to be cutting a lot of expensive stone and are VERY mechanically inclined they will stress you out for sure.  I use a fairly significantly modified Gryphon and rebuild it at least a couple of times a year.

Barclay

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 06:20:21 PM »

I have a Gryphon band saw and rarely use it for the reasons stated above.  It is intended more for the stained glass industry than stone.

Stonemon

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 06:41:25 PM »

These tools can be a real help when used on softer materials.  I use mine on variscite and turquoise as well as some of the other soft materials that come across the bench. Very little waste and long life cutting these stones.
I guess I have never even tried to push through an agate or other material that gets up into mohs 7.
I agree that maintenance is a must and if you are not familiar with the mechanical end of things you may well wind up frustrated...
Bill

Bill

Slabbercabber

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 05:59:28 AM »

Same here.  A Gryphon that gets used only for very special projects.  If you get one be ready to make your own parts.  The fragile bands require plastic parts that don't last the way woodworking saws do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 38 queries.