Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats your thinking?  (Read 1887 times)

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
    • Helene Fielder Sculptures
Whats your thinking?
« on: January 21, 2015, 03:44:47 PM »

I'm wanting to make some bracelets using unique clay beads that I have been working on.  I see them on a thick leather or rubber cording.  I'm gravitating towards 4mm round cord.  Remember this will not be a high end piece of jewelry.  I plan on making them fun, asymmetrical and full of color.  I don't want to purchase the pre-made bracelet, but want to purchase the stainless steel end clasp and glue them to the cording myself.   

My question:  Is the gluing of those end-caps.   I've seen lots of videos and instruction, but being a person that solders the glue process is bothering me.   Everyone is doing it, but how reliable is gluing with active wear of a bracelet.

http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Frolic-Black-Leather-40mm-Cord-Bracelet-with-Sterling-Silver-Threaded-End-Cap-8-1-2/62737485

http://www.pandahall.com/p-413278-304-stainless-steel-magnetic-screw-clasps-column-stainless-steel-color.html
Helene

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
    • Helene Fielder Sculptures
Re: Whats your thinking?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:08:38 PM »

I am talking about pottery.  The beads are glazed and high fired. 

Share!  Want to see more of your work.  Glad the miscommunication got you to post your polymer clay jewelry.
Helene

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Re: Whats your thinking?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 11:53:45 PM »

Helene,
Latex free cord seems to last longer than latex rubber cord.  Both leather and rubber have various glues that won't work well with them.  Normally I would recommend E6000 as a glue in such applications, however E6000 will not bond well with leather or rubber and will slowly separate from those materials over time.  The only way I've been able to use E6000 with success in such situations is to crimp a tight coil of wire around the end of the cord very tightly to reduce the cord diameter and then apply the glue to the coiled crimp and glue it up into the end cap.  Or I create a wire crimp leaving a long piece of wire sticking off it, and after crimping around the cord to hold it firmly I then thread the wire through a decorative cone to hide the cord end and then create a fancy bead wrap on the end of the cone and attach the clasp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 31 queries.