Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toki carving question.  (Read 5203 times)

Pebblehopper

Toki carving question.
« on: September 18, 2016, 10:20:57 PM »

I'm digging into Toki carving and trying to lay out the carving for the corners and main body for the wrap. I'm planning on carving the depth no more than the cord diameter, the corners to be equal in length ( top and side), the body wrap carving to be 1/3 of the total height of the piece. What else am I missing that I should plan for? Thanks!

Keep calm and hammer on!

southerly

Re: Toki carving question.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 10:29:18 PM »

Toki's are fun,

1. to determine the correct angle for the corners, incise the sides at the bottom of each corner, thread the main cord through the hole in the toki then wrap the thread around the toki and draw a line with the thread from the bottom edge of the corner to the first wrap around the main cord, this will give you the correct angle for the corner.
2. undercut the corners slighty so the thread hugs under them and does not slip off
3. drill and runnel the hole for the main neck cord so it is not noticeable
4. to get a nice snug fit without any gaps between wrapped cord and the carved recesses, test wrap often to get the proportions just right
5. Thread selection is important, too thick or too thin for the toki and it will look wrong
6. Use the same thread in the braid for the main cord
7. Have lots of fun
8. post your learnings here so we can all learn more

David

Pebblehopper

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 09:05:45 PM »

Toki's are fun,

1. to determine the correct angle for the corners, incise the sides at the bottom of each corner, thread the main cord through the hole in the toki then wrap the thread around the toki and draw a line with the thread from the bottom edge of the corner to the first wrap around the main cord, this will give you the correct angle for the corner.
2. undercut the corners slighty so the thread hugs under them and does not slip off
3. drill and runnel the hole for the main neck cord so it is not noticeable
4. to get a nice snug fit without any gaps between wrapped cord and the carved recesses, test wrap often to get the proportions just right
5. Thread selection is important, too thick or too thin for the toki and it will look wrong
6. Use the same thread in the braid for the main cord
7. Have lots of fun
8. post your learnings here so we can all learn more

David
Thanks David! You've given me a good head start here rather than stumbling along on my own. I'll post the completed project.

Keep calm and hammer on!

Pebblehopper

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 07:20:01 PM »

Better late than never...here's the finished pieces that were done a while back shortly after the original post. Enjoy:

southerly

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 02:43:17 AM »

Nice, interesting take on a toki. I do like toki's that use stone other than jade. Toki is a mice solid shape so many stones are suitable for a toki design.

David

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 06:17:08 AM »

Really nice job on those!  I'm loving on the crazy lace one.   :headbang:
Robin

womanwithatorch

• womanwithatorch.com
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 09:21:47 AM »

These are beautiful! I'm not familiar with the term "Toki", and an image search wasn't helpful. Can you enlighten me?
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I might learn how to do it." Pablo Picasso

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 09:06:51 PM »

These are beautiful! I'm not familiar with the term "Toki", and an image search wasn't helpful. Can you enlighten me?

I had to do a couple pages of digging on Google but found this site.  Toki is another name for an adze shaped pendant design from New Zealand, common among the Maori.

https://www.mountainjade.co.nz/about-jade/greenstone-meanings-and-designs/toki-adze/

womanwithatorch

• womanwithatorch.com
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 01:13:52 PM »

Thanks for the link, Enchantra, great site for learning about Toki.
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I might learn how to do it." Pablo Picasso

Pebblehopper

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 08:58:14 PM »

Thanks for the link, Enchantra, great site for learning about Toki.

And thanks from me too Enchantra for digging that up and sharing. It was that kind of information that got me going on the process because I was looking for a jewelry form that wasn't about the settings/wrappings but more about the stone. i think this form does that. Learning the process for 4 strand and 6 strand braid was also a fun challenge in addition to the toki wrap.

womanwithatorch

• womanwithatorch.com
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 10:44:00 AM »

Pebblehopper, you've done a nice job! What is the yellow stone  Thanks.

Pebblehopper

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 07:35:27 PM »

It's green opalite and the piece is available if you're interested.

southerly

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 04:48:21 PM »

There are lots of interpretations on the toki these days led by the NZ carvers. This is a google image search https://www.google.com.au/search?q=jade+toki+pendant&espv=2&biw=1164&bih=557&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj6mKjL25_RAhVEspQKHbVnBEEQ_AUIBigB

And one of mine

David

Pebblehopper

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 05:37:06 PM »

Wowah!! whats the stone in the second Photo? Thanks for the post of the other takes on toki. I think that it's an interesting change to the stone and sterling/gold setting/wrapping brand of jewelry. Or maybe it's just that I can get lost in the process of the neck cord round braiding in addition to the stone carving. I once saw a carved jade piece with 8 plait braid and I was hooked on the process but still working up from 4 and 6 plait. 

southerly

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 01:29:03 AM »

Thanks for the kind words, the second toki is high quality rhodonite, sometimes called imperial rhodonite form the Tamworth, New South Wales region with good quality black nephrite jade from Cowell, South Australia.

While toki's are traditionally done in nephrite jade or greywacke or serpentine, the shape would be effective for just about any stone. Anyone for an opal toki?

David

southerly

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 01:36:45 AM »

This is a great video on how to bind a toki. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQqrGQ562cQ

David

Pebblehopper

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 07:23:59 AM »

I dont think my pockets are deep enough for an opal toki.... My next venture will be into other shapes that can replace the toki form but still be used with a braided neck cord. I like the idea of making the work all about the stone.

metalsmith

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 11:13:35 AM »

This is a great video on how to bind a toki. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQqrGQ562cQ

David

Thanks for the link on binding ... just what i'm looking for to go with an ongoing project.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 58 queries.