Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southern California Rockhound Clubs  (Read 1010 times)

Smokey

Southern California Rockhound Clubs
« on: February 13, 2019, 02:16:02 PM »

Hello,
My wife and I are looking for Gem/Mineral/Rockhound clubs in Southern California.  We are in Temecula and I've found the following clubs somewhat close to us (within an hour drive):

Fallbrook Gem & Mineral Society
San Diego Mineral & Gem Society
Vista Gem & Mineral Society

Does anyone have any experience with any of these clubs?  I'd love to find a club that did regular rock hounding field trips. We've been going to the Oceanview mine's fee digs and love it but want to do some self-collecting and field trips.

If there is an amazing club further than an hour away, we would probably still be interested.

Thanks!

socalagatehound

Re: Southern California Rockhound Clubs
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 10:37:40 PM »

Hi Smokey
I live just east of San Diego and I have heard good things about the El Cajon G&MS, and I always attend their fine show (it just happens to be at the rodeo grounds next to the high school I coach at) but the Vista club puts on my favorite show in San Diego area. Their spring show often rivals the Stoddard Wells show put on by the Victor Valley GMS for size and quality. Both are coming up soon. Vista is the first weekend of April, and you could go and meet people and see what they are like. Victor Valley is a bit of a drive, but their show is early March. Could be another meet and greet.  I'm sure Fallbrook and San Diego are fine clubs, too, but the San Diego show is less to my interest and I know little of the Fallbrook club except that they are near the tourmaline mines in Pala.  I think they all have web sites listing their field trips. I guess it depends on the materials you like. As you can tell, I'm an agate hound and a Cady Mountains regular. I guess I'm a bit of a free lancer....lol.... not in any local clubs.
Hope you find one that fits what you like.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Southern California Rockhound Clubs
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 07:48:59 PM »

Howdy Smokey, I have a house in Valley Center near you.  I had tried to join one of the clubs down there, it was either San Diego GMS or the San Diego Lapidary and never got call backs or responses to Emails.  Let me know what comes of the club searching as I am still interested in joining a club in the area.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 32 queries.