Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: $6 a gallon saw oil cutting oil research, sort of  (Read 3844 times)

55fossil

$6 a gallon saw oil cutting oil research, sort of
« on: April 17, 2018, 08:02:19 AM »

I just got a 55 gallon drum of what is called Deep Well Drip Oil, ISO 32. Last year I used this heavily for 6 months in an 18 inch Frantom saw and it performed great. ISO 32 is the equivalent of 10 weight motor oil. This oil is considered a heavy machine oil for high power and hydraulic equipment. It has many excellent properties, anti-foam, anti-rust, constant viscosity at low to medium temperatures. It was under $7 / gallon delivered. This oil is very clear and has no smell I can detect!
    Here is a link to some similar oil so you can read the characteristics of the Drip Oil.  http://www.lsc-online.com/deep-well-antiwear-pump-oil/
    This drip oil stays very fluid even in cold weather. It still worked well on the hot days but it never got over 80 degrees here in sunny northwest Oregon....  Recycling the oil was easy. The rock particles separated to the bottom of the saw and formed a hard mat of guck. Most oil was recovered during draining. The rest was easily filtered using paper bags.
   There are many ISO 32 oils on the market and each one is different. You need to check the additive list!!!  The oil I found has no toxic additives, many of them do. You can even order some types of ISO 32 oil at WalMart for $6 a gallon. This is not a recommendation, just information. Due diligence and some help with any other info from other members would be appreciated.

PS:   Mineral oils like this are highly refined petroleum oils and are still considered hazardous. Unless the oil is marked "Food Grade Oil, safe for consumption" you should consider it is not meant to be put in the landfill. Call your waste pick-up folks and ask them as it can vary in different areas. Mineral oil is still hazardous / toxic waste.  VEGETABLE Oil or canola oils are different and not considered hazardous waste.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: $6 a gallon saw oil cutting oil research, sort of
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 08:17:01 PM »

Good to hear you like this oil. Did you buy it from a distributor near you, or from an online source?

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 07:08:31 AM »

Had a friend bring it up from a Bend, OR distributor. Distributor was listed as Klamath Falls. Mostly just wondered if anyone else has tried this oil.

This oil is clear, has no smell and is listed as essentially non-toxic for additives. At under $7 a gallon... The label still lists all normal precautions as it is an oil based product. I really enjoy using this oil. I have used a lot of oil cutting tons of rock for 20 years and this stuff is great IMO. I will do more research on who manufactured this stuff when I get some time.

Greg Hiller

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:21:50 AM »

Certainly beats the cheapest I can find for the vet mineral oil (about 11.50 a gallon). 
Always interested in trading slabs and rough

Greg Hiller

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 08:23:56 AM »

I checked the link.  I think this statement really confirms it should be safe to handle and use:

>General lubrication for use in processing plants when applied where incidental contact with food may occur<

Always interested in trading slabs and rough

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 01:06:55 PM »

Yep, it looks safe but I do not want anyone getting ill and dragging my broke ass into it because I said it was safe. I really like this stuff and think any ISO 32 would be great BUT read the damn fine print on the label. Every manufacturer has different uses for similar oils. Mine does not even say whether it is a Sunoco or Texaco or who manufactured it....  But even Wal Mart will supply it in gallons at a cheap rate. I have not read their fine print about uses and additives.

Jhon P

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 05:43:51 PM »

I will have to check with my local oil distributor when I get low.
The last drum of rock oil I bought was $14.00 a gal. The drum before that was $8.50
I share it with a friend of mine

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »

You can even order some types of ISO 32 oil at WalMart for $6 a gallon. This is not a recommendation, just information. Due diligence and some help with any other info from other members would be appreciated.

I searched Walmart but couldn't find anything. Can you provide a Walmart link? Also how much do they charge to ship? I'm in South Carolina. Thanks.

55fossil

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 02:20:09 PM »

link below may work... or just search walmart iso 32 oil.  5 gallon pail is $32.   DISCLAIMER:   I am not an oil scientist. I just know what I use and this looks similar. Read what the manufacturer says about the oil and use your own good judgment. Mineral oil is made from petroleum oil and is not organic. Do not confuse mineral oil with vegetable oil. The most refined mineral oil is labeled as safe to use on machinery that handles food so it can be fairly safe... that said read the manufacturers warnings before you breathe it or stick your hands in it. I really enjoy the oil I am now using.

Walmart also has free shipping if you buy enough!!!!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AW-32-Hydraulic-Oil-Fluid-ISO-VG-32-SAE-10W-5-Gallon-Pail/905049072?

Michael

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 02:53:49 PM »

I am curious.  How do you wrestle a 55 gallon drum full of oil?  When I was a kid and working in the summers for the health department in Charlotte, we had 55 gallon drums filled with M/O to which we tapped into sprayers used to kill mosquito larvae by coating  stagnant water at various sites.  These drums were in the back of old pick up trucks which we filled at the Health Dept. shop.  When filled, those old trucks really groaned as we pulled out to make the rounds. 

I just have a 10 and 6" trim saws, so I just use the Tractor Supply stuff they use for horse laxative, plus a Covington additive (10%) for better viscosity.  Works well.  I can see where you guys with the big slabbers need to find the best price on cutting oil, and not use toxic stuff. 

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 08:54:19 AM »

While this is an old posting, it's also a constant. We paid $68 USD or so a pail at Quartzite  for Stella' s rock cutting oil, much more than $45 CDN hydraulic oil goes on sale for here. Since the 24" takes four pails, that's a fair premium. A Canadian dollar is only worth about .75 US.BTW As a millwright in industry we would occasionally get sprayed by leaking hydraulics as we worked on repairing them. Hydraulic Oil Will Cause Skin Rash! We tried to be careful around it. We thought it  was likely the additives , but industry uses the expensive stuff, not the Walmart stuff.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 04:34:24 AM »

Its also worth adding a link to MK Diamonds words about slab saw lubricants/coolants. They don't mention hydraulic fluid as a prohibited, but do wave you away from transmission fluids. Its worth consulting. 
http://www.mkdiamond.com/pdf/Tec_Library/Lapidary/bd_slab_saw_coolants.pdf
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Slabbercabber

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 07:16:39 AM »

Aside from the additive problems with hydraulic oil, you should also be aware that these fluids are purposefully hydrophilic.  Nothing is more obnoxious than bacterial and mold growing in your oil.  Also, it is not a good lubricant.  I once had a problem on the production floor with rust bubbling up out of the high speed machinery.  In chasing down the issue, it turns out that a newly minted engineer had changed the straight 10 weight oil we had been using to hydraulic oil.  Same viscosity but cheaper.  That was some really bad cost saving.

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 10:12:54 AM »

There have been many books written on cutting fluid for the machine tool industry. They are oil or water based.It has to lubricate and cool, no one fluid does both well. In the old  days of steel cutting tools they used a lard oil with a high sulfur additive. Great for cutting threads. I once had to clean out the tank on an old metal shaper,very rancid , the most obnoxious job I had ever had to do. Now industry uses carbide cutting tools at high speed with deep cuts, so cooling is the most important aspect. They use water soluble oil products. From all the after market additives sold and the advertising claims of the various brands, they also turn bad.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 56 queries.