Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Class Mailing?  (Read 3873 times)

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
First Class Mailing?
« on: June 10, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »

Do any of you on-line sellers have recommendations about what method is best for printing First Class USPS labels on your home computer?  I've been searching for options but the byzantine details are driving me nuts!  I have a couple of projects in mind that will require the lower cost of First Class over Priority and I'd like to avoid the monthly expense of services like Endicia if possible though it's looking more and more attractive despite the expense. 

PayPal's shipping options seems like a no-brainer until you get into their site and try to find your way through the labyrinth.  For instance, how do you find out what printers are compatible with their system?  Aaaarrrrrgghhhhhh!

EBay's system looks simpler but I won't be selling through them in most cases.  Any help from battle-scarred veterans here will be greatly appreciated.     

55fossil

Re: First Class Mailing?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 10:39:50 AM »

I sell on my web sites, e-bay and Etsy.  I use PayPal shipping. Find someone to help you if you cannot decipher it. I do know what you mean. Learning one shipping method and sticking with it works for me. My biggest problem is when the USPS computer will not talk to paypal, it happens occasionally. Then you learn to go back later and print the shipper because they already took your money. PayPal has always come through when I had problems and returned my money. Plus, you get all the shipping, tracking and notes on the sale at your fingertips for future questions.  Neal

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 01:17:22 PM »

I  appreciate that info Neal.  I'll try again...and again, if necessary.  But to save a little time, can you tell me if any specific printer is required to use their system?  I painfully worked my way through the process last week but found that my new Epson WF-2630 apparently isn't in the "select" group of printers needed. Is that correct? I did get my money back.  I emailed PayPal to ask if I'd made a mistake about my printer not being usable and received no answer.  I did get a nice note from their CEO asking if I was pleased with my email "interaction" with them.  Frustrating.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 09:46:11 AM »

Doing Emily Litella bit:  Never mind, Neal... :idea1:

On closer examination I see I need a *label* printer.  I'm so used to doing USPS Priority labels for website sales on my regular printers it just didn't occur to me when I first saw the PayPal printer list.  Now all I need to do is find room for one of those on my overcrowded desk!

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 10:12:18 AM »

Good info in this thread. I wouldn't have known about the label printer requirement. Always learning new things just by reading posts by the group on here... .

rocks2dust

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 11:43:36 AM »

Last time I used it, the multi-order shipping didn't require a label printer and would print on plain paper just like ebay and amazon do. I just selected the printer to use when printing. That said, I did have a problem with an older printer I was used - a 30 year-old ancient HP LaserJet - where the bar codes got messed up. If you were having that sort of problem, there may be a newer driver for your printer that might fix the problem. You should also check your printer preferences to make sure you are printing at 100% size, rather than some other size or stretch to fit. I'd be disappointed if PayPal has changed to requiring a dedicated label printer - those printers can be cheap enough, but the label stock is very expensive per label.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 11:58:58 AM »

rocks2dust, maybe I've got it wrong -- it wouldn't be the first time.  Or maybe I'm missing something obvious.  Go into the multi-order shipping section and click the "Printer" tab.  All I can find there is a list of "supported" label printers.  I've searched and can't find an option to choose any other printer.  If such an option exists any help finding it will be greatly appreciated.

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »

I use PayPal but their recent website changes (as you mentioned) have made the link to the postage tool difficult to find. In case anyone is wondering I believe the reason PayPal changed things is probably to make the website more accessible to mobile devices.

If you sell on eBay printing labels is very easy but printing non eBay postage requires you to find the tool on PayPal and also (obviously) to have a PayPal account.

The Multi-Order Shipping tool is found by doing this:

Login to your PayPal
On the top click on Tools
You can also click on the All Tools link in the drop down list.

This then takes you to a page of links and you scroll down and find the Multi-order shipping link on the lower right.

As far as USPS First Class be VERY CAREFUL since there is a huge gray area involved with the definition of a package vs. envelope. I recently sent a bubble wrap envelope to Australia and it was diverted to the Dead Letter Office in Atlanta because they classified it as a PACKAGE not an ENVELOPE. The postage for a 6oz envelope to Australia is almost half that of a 6oz package. And it's up to them to decide if your bubble wrap envelope is irregular enough in thickness to be defined as a package instead of an envelope. I am now out money AND product because of this and it's possible my items will be sold at a monthly auction in Atlanta.

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 01:44:47 PM »

You can use the paypal multiorder shipping  link in paypal and can then print to most any newer printer, you dont have to have a label printer although you can use one. If they dont pay with paypal you have to manually enter the shipping address or else import it from one of several other programs. The new paypal format does hide multiorder shipping  but when you find it you can click the heart button and it will put it in your drop down menu.
You also get the paypal quantity discount when you ship using paypal which is usually enough to pay for your shipping supplies.

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 02:31:35 PM »

OK, I finally got the process  through my thick skull.  Sorry if I've misled anyone.  My problems came from lack of familiarity with my new printer and not disabling my pop-up blocker.

You do *not* need a label printer. Labels print just fine on plain paper - I just printed one. The list of printers I mentioned simply details the label printers supported by the program. You *do* need to be sure your pop-up blocker is disabled, otherwise the print option doesn't work.

This was written before catmandewe's post so take that into account.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 45 queries.