Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back yard rhodonite  (Read 2659 times)

auscarver

Back yard rhodonite
« on: May 26, 2016, 04:11:03 AM »

This little rhodonite cab is from my property, I found the deposit around 6 months back, originally only found light pink but we are down abound 3 feet in one spot and it has been producing some great pattern and unusual color, a bright orange that I have never seen before, and some yellow, its mixed with jasper, positioned on the peel fault, I do not cut many cabs but this one gives me great pleasure after finding this.

Slabbercabber

Re: Back yard rhodonite
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 04:34:14 AM »

:headbang: That is some really pretty material.  I hope the deposit opens enough to supply sales.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 06:55:28 AM »

That's a beauty!  Love the different colors in it. 
Robin

Jhon P

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 07:58:11 AM »

Love all the colors and patterns
How big is your back yard ?  I bet it goes for miles
I guess I can call the state of Nevada my back yard

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 08:21:21 AM »

Analytical testing of the altered rhodonite here in Washington state shows that the rhodonite can grade into spessartite garnet in altered samples. This  massive garnet is normally yellow but can be pink. The orange is unlike anything I have seen  and would be a great candidate for x-ray diffraction testing .

auscarver

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 02:28:19 AM »

Our property is approx 160 acres, its on the peel fault area, this is the 2nd rhodonite- manganese deposit I have found in the last few years, we also have copper related stones with great blue and greens, there is heaps of yellow in this rhodonite , its the orange that interests me, yes I need it tested, NEVER seen this color before in rhodonite, it sits on the yellow on the pieces I have so it could also be garnet related.

tntmom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 09:28:59 PM »

I recognize this cab I just didn't recognize your new name!!!!  I just posted one of your Imperial's that I got from you a few days ago.  From the little one.  The big one is probably going into my display cabinet for 20 years..... I can't bring myself to cut it  :notworthy:

~Krystee
https://www.facebook.com/kristine.gniot

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift.... That's why it's called The Present.

auscarver

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 04:40:15 AM »

Hi Krystee, yes that cardinal red is one choice gem, the small cab is from a different location than the last slab I sent you, both are known as Danglemah, only about 2 miles apart.

Back

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 11:52:53 AM »

Hi All
That is some cool stone :drool:

I cant even think of finding something cool around southern Indiana. There are some geodes in the area but are hard to find and so far I have found nothing good but there is always hope.

The red arrow head necklace is 1 of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

Bless
Shawn

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 07:33:31 PM »

Analytical testing of the altered rhodonite here in Washington state shows that the rhodonite can grade into spessartite garnet in altered samples. This  massive garnet is normally yellow but can be pink. The orange is unlike anything I have seen  and would be a great candidate for x-ray diffraction testing .

Here's a great example of rhodonite with massive spessartite garnet.  This specimen is from Italy, exact location unknown to me.  It was sent to me by another member whose occupation is mineral identification.  The spessartite in this sample grades from yellow to orange which is a normal color for the crystalline variety. 

style

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 02:20:20 PM »

That's an awesome cab. Great work
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 45 queries.