Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Templates  (Read 1905 times)

wheatguy

Templates
« on: January 02, 2017, 07:13:04 PM »

Where do you guys that cut cabochons get your inspiration for shapes?  Do you cut them free form or use templates, and if templates, where do you get them?   I have a couple templates that I got from Graves, but they are pretty simple circles and ovals.  I'm blown away by some of the more complicated shapes I see here.  Thanks!
-John

jerrysg

Re: Templates
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 09:51:28 PM »

Diamond Pacific now has a set of much more elaborate templates.  I think there are 20 in the series.

Jerry

wheatguy

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 05:57:36 AM »

Thanks Jerry.  I'll look at those!
John
-John

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 06:04:27 AM »

Feel the stone, really.   I just love everyone that uses templates to cut freeform cabochons.  MY opinion...   Many stones do well on standard templates. But for truly unique stones you need to look at the slab and cut where it tells you the best cabochon is and the shape it wants to be. Yes, you may think you waste a lot of good material this way but this is how you get those truly one of a kind cabs. You cannot force inspiration or find it by asking, it has to come to you.
    You may have to sit a slab on the desk or hide it away for years before inspiration hits you. Maybe try some music you love while you sit in a quiet room with some nice slabs.   Yep, I am one of those free thinkers. Might be from the 8 years of dark spaces in the Air Force doing crypto.......  now that's inspiration   Neal

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 06:21:51 AM »

I agree, feel the stone.  Sometimes I just sit and look at it and really notice the pattern(s) in the slab.  Sliding templates around on a slab can help isolate the area where the best drama is by blocking out the other stuff.  I have slabs that have been sitting around for years that I pick up, look at for a while and then put back, just because the right cab hasn't popped out at me yet.  I also have a whole flat file full of slabs that are just so beautiful I can't bring myself to cut them (yet).  I believe this is how we end up being rock hoarders.   :toothy12:
Robin

wheatguy

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 08:00:15 AM »

Thanks Neal and Robin.  I appreciate your insights.  I'm a scientist and never thought I had an ounce of artistic'ness' or creativeness to me.  But this past year, I have begun to cut and shape cabs and it is a very nice fit for me.  I found an awesome piece of labradorite in Wyoming and made a necklace for my girlfriend.  But, I used a template even though the stone was screaming to me that it had a shape of its own.  Perhaps I should have listened!  I also felt somewhat limited as to a setting for the stone...perhaps I need to wrap my brain around silversmithing too?!
John
-John

olgguy

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 10:10:01 AM »

Ditto 55fossil & Hummingbirdstones, but when I design one I like I make an aluminum template for my file. I include the size and file them according to size. Once you have the template you can modify
the shape larger or smaller or even combine curves from different ones to create a new design.

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 10:37:12 AM »

That's a great idea!  How do you cut the templates out so nicely?
Robin

bobby1

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 11:37:31 AM »

Try Cabtopia
Bob

olgguy

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 01:25:40 PM »

I use  jewelry piercing technique. Draw a line around the stone and drill a small hole to the inside of the line, insert the saw blade and cut up to the line. Leave the line showing so you can file  and smooth any imperfections. You can get the Aluminum at a "Home Depot" type store. It comes in 12x12x.019. I cut my blanks 2 5/16x 3 1/8 and store them in old "Band Aid " cans.

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 01:33:02 PM »

Thanks for the responses! 

I had never heard of Cabtopia before.  There's some very cool templates in there, including a HUMMINGBIRD!  Lord knows, I have to have that one.   :toothy4:

For shapes that we come up with just by cutting, olgguy's technique will be perfect and will force me to perfect my sawing skills, which are not near what his seem to be or Steve's (the master of sawing) are.

Robin

wheatguy

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 02:53:32 PM »

Thank you for the Cabtopia suggestion Bob...some really nice things there!

And, olgguy, thank you too for the tips.  I really like how you cut and store your templates.  Too cool!
-John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 45 queries.