Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am in love and her name is malachite  (Read 1781 times)

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
I am in love and her name is malachite
« on: April 07, 2015, 04:42:18 PM »

I had absolutely no experience with malachite so I have been working through the learning curve and trying not to ruin any of what I bought. I completely cut up the botroidal piece and a couple of slices off the big piece. A few days ago I was grinding some of it on the 100 pad and smoked the motor on my drill press that runs my flat lap.

This is the point I had gotten to when the motor went.

On my wheel machine all I have is a sic grinding, 100 soft diamond and a 3000 soft diamond. Yesterday (I think) lol I did a little grinding on the 100 soft wheel then quit. Today it crossed my mind that the stone is fairly soft so maybe I could do some good with the 3000 wheel. I worked on it for a while and it looked like it was cutting slowly so I kept going. I tried to dry it off after a while and could not figure out why it would not dry off. DUH I had a wet shine on that stone that blew me away.

It is not finished and I would not want to work it all that way because it is slow but I can see a 100 grind, 400 grind to smooth it out then go straight to the 3000. I will be trying my 8500 and 13000 when I get my machine going again but I don't think it will help any.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

Itsandbits

Re: I am in love and her name is malachite
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »

Haven't touched any myself either but lowest I'd go is 400 if that is what 3000 will do!!! WOWSER!!!!!!!
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 05:50:55 PM »

Obviously you are addicted which begs the question - what makes you feel so strongly about malachite? I love this piece  , good shape , wonderful eyes and polish.

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 07:40:21 PM »

Obviously you are addicted which begs the question - what makes you feel so strongly about malachite? I love this piece  , good shape , wonderful eyes and polish.

I have never worked with another stone that is this soft but polishes so good and easy. Really fun to work with and I think it might be easy to carve and polish if I can find subject matter that will look good with green lines. Lizards maybe.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:48:57 PM »

I think it might be easy to carve and polish if I can find subject matter that will look good with green lines. Lizards maybe.
Jim

Dragons, snakes, geckos, fish...

RxScram

• I love rocks!
    • Barnhouse Lapidary
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 10:50:06 PM »

Jim,
I still can't get over that shine... amazing!

I think you'd be surprised at how many things look good with green lines... I've got a big cat (leopard) carved out of malachite, and I think it's quite lovely! Actually, for Christmas this year, everybody in my family is getting a different carving of their favorite animal in Malachite... a couple of owls, a couple of turtles, a fish, a cat, a couple of elephants... and they all look good in green!  :-D
Jeff Barnhouse

Pietersite, Malachite, Mtorolite, Lapis, Stichtite, etc.
stores.ebay.com/Barnhouse-Lapidary
barnhouselapidary.com

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 12:36:02 AM »

Thats some hot malachite!

bgast1

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 07:40:06 AM »

Beautiful  :drool: Just so you know I have read all kinds of warnings about cutting Malachite as to it's dangers to your health, but if you wear a mask/respirator and gloves you should be fine. I myself have ignored both and I am still fine (well I guess it depends upon who you talk to). Yet I have heard of people getting sick just from cutting it once.
Bob

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
    • Helene Fielder Sculptures
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »

Your right about it easy to carve.   I did one a few months ago.   The scratches come out easy with sic paper.  I have a large piece of Congo malachite that was purchased just for carving.  I talked to the dealer and he said lots of malachite has weak points where the different hues of bands meet.  He helped me select a solid one.   I can send you a piece off of it if you like. 

Right now I am in love with bryozoan fossil, Turkish stick agate, calico agate and most things petrified.   I keep looking for a fine grained golden petrified wood with strong vertical lines.   My heart is fickle so I may love another next week.
Helene

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 12:08:47 PM »

Beautiful  :drool: Just so you know I have read all kinds of warnings about cutting Malachite as to it's dangers to your health, but if you wear a mask/respirator and gloves you should be fine. I myself have ignored both and I am still fine (well I guess it depends upon who you talk to). Yet I have heard of people getting sick just from cutting it once.

This is very true.  Malachite contains copper, silica and arsenic; the powders inhaled from the water over spray can make you sick just like cutting dry can.  A lot of people wear respirators, eye protection AND rubber gloves when working this stone.

I still love it though, and your cabs are beautiful!  I am surprised it polished so well at that grit too.  Like Amanda said, many reptiles come in green- so do plants...  But who cares???  Anything in Malachite would be wicked cool!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 44 queries.