Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whidbey island conditions  (Read 937 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Whidbey island conditions
« on: June 30, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »

Anyone coming up tomorrow should know that the temperature at my house at noon today was 55 degrees with clouds , literally, of mosquitoes. Shorts or short sleeves will insure a number of bites no matter how fast you go from the car to the house.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Whidbey island conditions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 09:14:17 PM »

I would go insane in a cloud of mosquitoes.  Of course I have an amazing area for Sagenite Agate 5 minutes from my house but because you can't walk up the hill without 10 to 20 ticks due to the rabbit population I leave the agate where it is.  I tried one time on lunch from work.  I ended up with so many ticks I drove home stripped naked in the garage and put all my clothes in a bucket and came into the house naked.  My wife sitting at the kitchen table looked at me and all I could only say was i'll explain, and headed for the shower and the mirrors to check for ticks.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 10:20:30 AM »

They have gotten so bad here that you choke on them .Head net time.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 12:15:44 PM »

This year its so dry in New Mexico that the mosquitos can't whistle, and the ticks can't come out of hibernation. 
The ants are happy around my hummingbird feeder, but that's not a good rock spot anyway.  The main impediment to rock hounding for us is the noon time temps in the high 90's and loose sand on the roads because of lack of rain.  The roads need more rocks and less sand.  No more complaining from me. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 33 queries.