Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wood collecting  (Read 1891 times)

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
Wood collecting
« on: October 09, 2018, 07:42:48 AM »

Been putting in some time collecting wood this past week for the upcoming winter season.  Last year I went thru about 6 cords of wood and this year I'm gonna try and have 8 cords ready in case of a long cold winter/spring. On my last paycheck from my summer job I bought a chainsaw and have been learning how to use it from some very knowledgeable buddies who work as sawyers at Stevens pass in the summertime. So far between my next door neighbor(who I'm helping out cause he had arm surgery recently), me and two other locals we've collected about 16 cords of gorgeous douglas fir, which is the preferred wood around here. We're probably about halfway done now so hopefully by the end of this week I'll be done and splitting/stacking it so I can rest a bit easier and go back to cutting stones a bit more. The weather's been damn fine and the fall colors are just POPPING! Hope everyone's enjoying their fall!!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Rustycat

Re: Wood collecting
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 10:14:41 AM »

Been putting in some time collecting wood this past week for the upcoming winter season.  Last year I went thru about 6 cords of wood and this year I'm gonna try and have 8 cords ready in case of a long cold winter/spring. On my last paycheck from my summer job I bought a chainsaw and have been learning how to use it from some very knowledgeable buddies who work as sawyers at Stevens pass in the summertime. So far between my next door neighbor(who I'm helping out cause he had arm surgery recently), me and two other locals we've collected about 16 cords of gorgeous douglas fir, which is the preferred wood around here. We're probably about halfway done now so hopefully by the end of this week I'll be done and splitting/stacking it so I can rest a bit easier and go back to cutting stones a bit more. The weather's been damn fine and the fall colors are just POPPING! Hope everyone's enjoying their fall!!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Very nice looking wood.  We've heated pretty much exclusively with wood, Madrona mostly--but I like Fir a lot too-- for the last 40 years.   Getting a little long in the tooth to process it, even though I bought a hydraulic splitter a few years ago.  But, no matter, I put in a Mitsubishi Mini-split heat pump this summer, and so far, I couldn't be happier with it.  Guess we'll see how much it cost for the winter heating season, but I'm optimistic it will be around $2/day.  So, wood will only be used when the power is out(which happens quite a bit), and for enjoyment.  BTW, I'm a firm believer in having a wood shed that can hold at least two years worth of wood, and a FIRM believer in having a winter's worth of wood drying for the next year while burning this year.  Here's a pic for the early 70's with my beloved Stihl 045 in front of a log house my wife and I built.

Stonemon

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 10:24:10 AM »

Great pic, Gergis and Rusty!  My wife and I burn wood exclusively for heat and I put up about 5 cord for a season. My wood is all in for the year and I am now working on the stash for next winter. We have a cabin that is fairly well insulated and usually burn 3-3.5 cords.
I too am feeling like it may be soon when I quit doing it for our main heating ans install a ductless heat pump. For now, it is therapy to go out in the autumn colors and gather wood with my wife!
Bill

Bill

Rustycat

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 10:44:34 AM »

Great pic, Gergis and Rusty!  My wife and I burn wood exclusively for heat and I put up about 5 cord for a season. My wood is all in for the year and I am now working on the stash for next winter. We have a cabin that is fairly well insulated and usually burn 3-3.5 cords.
I too am feeling like it may be soon when I quit doing it for our main heating ans install a ductless heat pump. For now, it is therapy to go out in the autumn colors and gather wood with my wife!
Bill
Stoneman,
I've always enjoyed heating with wood, and felt the benefits outweighed the hassle, but I'm certainly not as strong nor limber as I once was, and we have exhausted our own wood and have had to buy logs the last few years, which probably cost as much I'll spend on the Mini Split this year. 

Stonemon

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 11:30:02 AM »

Rustycat, We have 14.5 acres of temperate rain forest here on the McKenzie river East of Eugene, OR. Most of the wood I cut is from the natural decadence on our place, alder, maple, and Douglas fir, but I get private use permits from the USFS as we are flanked on two sides by the Willamette National Forest. $20 gets you a 2 cord permit and we venture up the ridge and cut on these spectacular fall days...
I just hit 60 a couple of weeks ago so you probably are a little bit more chronologically gifted than I.  :happy11:

Bill

Rustycat

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 11:40:21 AM »

Rustycat, We have 14.5 acres of temperate rain forest here on the McKenzie river East of Eugene, OR. Most of the wood I cut is from the natural decadence on our place, alder, maple, and Douglas fir, but I get private use permits from the USFS as we are flanked on two sides by the Willamette National Forest. $20 gets you a 2 cord permit and we venture up the ridge and cut on these spectacular fall days...
I just hit 60 a couple of weeks ago so you probably are a little bit more chronologically gifted than I.  :happy11:
Stoneman,
You are certainly lucky to the resource available so close (and cheap).  I've got a little less than ten years on you, and I'll say the last couple have seen my lack of planning for the long run dramatically catching up with me. 

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »

I switched to an electric Stihl about 15 years ago and love it .A 50 foot ten guage cord reaches out from the generator in the tractor bucket.We also heat with wood and are the youngest  to do that in my area. People are quite spoiled and out of touch with how their needs are fulfilled. We use a pellet stove for the shop and in the shoulder seasons which here on Whidbey can be much of the year some years.Our winds provide enough blowdowns for wood from our 5 acres.

axllaird

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 04:25:18 PM »

Great pics and the Autumn colours are glorious where you are. I need a cabin in the woods...have had a wood burning back boiler in the house for the last 5 years, so i know, you can never have enough wood. Where i live wood can be expensive it you can't source your own...a square metre of kiln dried hard wood can set you back around $100.
Worth every penny on a cold winter's night...

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 07:48:19 PM »

Y'all are making me jealous. I love a good wood fire, but living in the overcrowded burbs of Phoenix, we probably don't have more than a handful of 'burn' days all winter. Granted, it hardly ever freezes here in the Sonoran, but there's nothing like sweet burning mesquite to loft some spice into the cool desert air.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »

Gergis's cabin has no insulation so until the snow gets up to the rafters  it can be cool inside.He better keep my beagle buddy warm.

Jhon P

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 07:40:18 AM »

I was talking to an old Indian man and he was telling me that it was going to be a long cold winter. I ask how can you tell, Woolly catipellers, the squirrels hoarding nets? Other signs in nature?
His answer was, no not any of those.
White man cut heap pile of firewood
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 47 queries.