Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seed Storage  (Read 1555 times)

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Seed Storage
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »

I need to come up with a better way to store seeds.  I keep my seeds refrigerated because it increases viability in the long term.  However I have also taken up one entire crisper in the refrigerator!  While my Husband is considering getting a second refrigerator for the garage or laundry room, I'd still like to find some way to better organize them in the fridge so they take up less room.  Right now they are sorted by type in containers or plastic ziplock baggies.  I know, not very efficient. 

I've looked at seed organization on Pinterest and seen several intriguing solutions, however I'm not sure how well they would work in a fridge.  One person used a photo album and put the seed packets into each photo sleeve.  I thought that was really cool because then you could write notes on an index card and slide it into the pocket with the seed packet.  Someone else vacuum packed their seeds.  Nice option but the process of having to redo the vacuum pack after each time you open it would be a pain in the arse. 

So do any of you have any thoughts or suggestions?

Keep in mind I have a seed collection that currently now with a few recent additions the past couple weeks now numbers in the range of 250 seed varieties - most is no more than a couple years old as I like to cycle through my seeds regularly using up or replacing anything that gets to old or sending it to people who might have better luck growing it depending on what it is.  My Biggest categories are members of the Nightshade family (Tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, eggplant and najaranjilla), and Cooking/medicinal herbs.  Curcurbit family comes in a close second.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 27 queries.