Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gemstones from Taiwon and Okinawa  (Read 1450 times)

Allen

Gemstones from Taiwon and Okinawa
« on: February 16, 2017, 10:28:13 PM »

Latter this year I hope to visit both of these countries.

Collecting stone from visited countries adds to the pleasure. I expect to be purchasing the material not finding it.

This forum has a great range of personnel, do we have anyone with knowledge of these locations? 

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Gemstones from Taiwon and Okinawa
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 08:41:54 PM »

Okinowa is famous for it cemetaries and pottery and the warm exotic climate. Taiwan is very mountainous and the only lapidary material I am aware of in either was catseye jade from Taiwan. The jade was very valuable but was mined far underground and expensive to mine. They used dynamite on the deposit and like so many others the results were a catastrophe, lots of cracked jade.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
Re: Gemstones from Taiwon and Okinawa
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 10:16:59 PM »

There used to be lots of Taiwanese nephrite jade on the market.  I still have a few cut stones.  As to the source I have no information.  Maybe it came from the deposit mentioned by Lithicbeads but I never saw any chatoyant ones.  The material had decent color tending toward slightly yellowish-green, and was mostly translucent at best.  I can post an image if there's interest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 31 queries.