Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What hand pieces are recommended?  (Read 2705 times)

Campbellpotter

What hand pieces are recommended?
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »

Hi all,

I have been using a dremel 3000 to carve and polish jade for a while and have killed a few of them so keen to buy something better. What do would you recommend as advice or products to check out?

A bit more context is Im a hobby carver and mostly work with small necklace pendants and do an occasional bigger sculpture. Examples are here on my site, campbellcarving.co.nz.

Thanks

Jhon P

Re: What hanf pieces are recommended?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 12:51:36 PM »

A fordom will hold up better than a dremil. I do a little carving, not much lately. I have a old dental lathe that I use for a fixed point and to be able to use both hands and it has plenty of power and two speeds

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:37:06 PM »

Most carvers recommend a Foredom flex shaft machine with a #30 Handpiece.  That model has a Jacobs chuck that can handle a variety of bur shaft diameters.  There are also several high-speed carving set-ups capable of delivering up to 400,000 rpms.  One is the Turbocarver http://www.turbocarver.com/thetool/body_thetool.html

I know that several other manufacturers offer other high-speed equipment but you’ll have to search them out.

Many carvers prefer a point-carving system where the workpiece is brought to the machine.  There are probably instructions for making your own on line.  Here’s a commercial model that illustrates the idea: 
http://www.arrowheadlapidarysupply.com/catalog/item.php?unid=8720

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 04:59:24 PM »

and make sure you get a foredom with reverse so your wheels and burrs wear evenly

Campbellpotter

Re: What hand pieces are recommended?
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 01:26:12 AM »

Thanks guys,
Ill be having a good look at the foredom stuff then, I already have a point carver I have setup, but it is a bit slow for small burrs, works well with laps and big circumference things, might be worth while getting a bigger pulley. 

As I am in New Zealand I need 220V stuff.
I found this page on Foredom
https://www.foredom.net/220-230voltmotorsandspeedcontrols.aspx

Can anyone help me through the jargon, I would probably go with hanging but they all seem like pretty similiar machines but I am sure there some significant difference in them, anyone able to point me in the right direction?

southerly

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 02:38:21 AM »

Foredom has 200v options, just select them at the checkout of the site you choose to buy from, it seems a genuine 220v too. Heaps more torque than a dremel.

Debbie K

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 06:25:12 AM »

Yeah, more torque, but slower speed. Dremels have greater rpms. I have a 1/4 hp Wecheer which takes forever to wind down, which I practically never use for just that reason. I want to be able to change burs quickly. I think the higher torque is useful if you want to carve wood, but not so much for stone. And interesting enough, I only miss the high speed of the Dremel when I carve softer stones. I use medium speed most of the time. I thought that a dental set-up would be great; I finally got one but never use it.

I prefer the collets to the jacobs handpieces. Again, they're quicker to change burs. They want too much for the Foredom quick change handpieces, but I have switched over to the thinner, pencil type handpieces. When I carve, I carve for hours at a time and the bulky handpiece gives my hand horrible cramps after a few hours.

I've yet to kill a Foredom, or the Wecheer. I've killed about 4 Dremels and 1 Grobet. I hated the expense, but the Foredom is a better machine. And when I carve, I carve a lot. I looked at your website, and the Foredom will be a great choice for you. My stuff is generally smaller is scale too, see here dlskdesigns.com.

Good luck with whatever you get, and happy carving!

Debbie K

Amylynn

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 05:31:36 AM »

Yeah, more torque, but slower speed. Dremels have greater rpms. I have a 1/4 hp Wecheer which takes forever to wind down, which I practically never use for just that reason. I want to be able to change burs quickly. I think the higher torque is useful if you want to carve wood, but not so much for stone. And interesting enough, I only miss the high speed of the Dremel when I carve softer stones. I use medium speed most of the time. I thought that a dental set-up would be great; I finally got one but never use it.

I prefer the collets to the jacobs handpieces. Again, they're quicker to change burs. They want too much for the Foredom quick change handpieces, but I have switched over to the thinner, pencil type handpieces. When I carve, I carve for hours at a time and the bulky handpiece gives my hand horrible cramps after a few hours.

I've yet to kill a Foredom, or the Wecheer. I've killed about 4 Dremels and 1 Grobet. I hated the expense, but the Foredom is a better machine. And when I carve, I carve a lot. I looked at your website, and the Foredom will be a great choice for you. My stuff is generally smaller is scale too, see here dlskdesigns.com.

Good luck with whatever you get, and happy carving!

Debbie K

Debbie,

Where did you find the handpieces you use?  I have the same problem with the H.30 handpiece, though I'm only just learning this stuff. I was thinking I'm going to have to get a micromotor to be comfortable carving, because I have small hands. That, and the tension on the flex shaft puts strain on my wrists... if that makes sense.

Thank you!

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 07:59:28 AM »

https://www.mcmaster.com/#flexible-shaft-grinders/=1bd8es3

https://www.mcmaster.com/#flexible-shaft-grinders/=1bd8fab

Continous-Duty Grinder is 2nd link.

I have a 52" Flex cable from the mid-50s i use. 1750 RPM. or less. it was used to clean casting dies.
scares me to use it.
  The power head for the cable is a 1/2 Hp. motor.

Though i use the Drill press and both hand on a fire agate. More stable  play with.

Jack
Silicate life form
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 43 queries.