Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faceting problem for newbie  (Read 2676 times)

Rcbiplane

Faceting problem for newbie
« on: January 06, 2017, 05:00:39 PM »

Just got an older Graves with the 5x digital head from eBay , It is a complete setup and has 3 drops with little green stones  that have had the pavilions polished with about 26 facets alternatein short and long.
  The trouble is I don't know what design this is or where the facets should be relative to the ones below .  Should I treat this as rough and recut pavilion to a known design or is there an easier way to procede.
  I am reading vol 1 lby Tom Herbst. But have had no experience in cutting gems.
     The outfit was disassembled for shipment so I have to put it together and make space in the basement before I can get started.  Any an all ideas are welcome.
   Thanks in advance.    George.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Faceting problem for newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 08:35:35 PM »

You need to decide on a faceting program that you like and understand.Save these for when you have experience as then you may be able to identify them and select appropriate angles and polishes. check out meet point faceting as you may find that it suits you as it does many.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 05:33:56 AM »

I would suggest getting some instruction on faceting first if you can.  Join your local rock club and find out if any members facet and can mentor you or if they have a faceting group in the club that mentors.  Once you have a handle on how to actually facet a stone and feel comfortable, you can decide what to do with the stones. 

A lot will depend on what shape the stones were being cut in. There is a database with loads of designs here:

http://www.gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Faceting_Designs

You can find something similar you like for the type of stone it is and finish them then.  Good luck!

Robin

rocks2dust

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »

If they are just practice stones, I wouldn't worry about matching the pavilion with any design - just choose a crown design and go ahead do the crown and table facets. Who knows - you might come up with something new that you really like. Any mistakes and you'll learn how doing an accurate dop transfer affects the girdle, how the pavilion facets affect what you see through the top, etc. If you think that the stones are more valuable than say quartz/amethyst/citrine, garnet, etc., then you may want to do more study on them before proceeding and start out fresh with a piece of quartz or something that you won't mind too much if it doesn't turn out. Just my opinion.

metalsmith

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 01:18:16 AM »

If they're peridot then crack on. If they're tsavorite / emerald then hold on!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 35 queries.