Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slab Grabber  (Read 2740 times)

Minkos61

Slab Grabber
« on: October 25, 2014, 05:55:31 PM »

So I needed a slab grabber and figured I'd make one up today .
Basic design that I found on the web and here's what I came up with .

Thanks for looking  :coffee2:
Ernie

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
Re: Slab Grabber
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:24:55 PM »

Looks great. I have one like it that Tony was selling but I need to revise it so it works better with my Lortone clamp (I have a few words for the Lortone clamp that I can not use here). I have to use the clamp in the saw to hold down the slab grabber because I can not use the forward bolt in the slab grabber since it falls right under the lortone top clamp bar. It is as hard to use as it is to explain how I have to use it. I am sure there is a better way for me but I have what I have. I just have to be careful when I tighten down the clamp so I do not break the rock. It also shortens up my cross feed so I get three slabs less from each setup. Other than all that it works great and most of the time I leave the top bar off so I can do a three point grab which saves on burs for grinding a groove that the screw sits in.

I now use a square and ruler to lay out the stone so I never have to take the messy grabber out of the saw. While one stone is cutting I can prep another one to go in next, Even when I am not using the grabber it sits in the saw on the shelf where the slabs fall. Otherwise I would have to either clean it up each time or put it in a bucket or something so it does not make a mess.

I hope this babble will save you a little time with your cutting. Sorry if this is a little or a lot confusing because sometimes I have a hard time trying to get my point across.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

Minkos61

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 11:43:22 PM »

Thanks Jim and  believe it or not I think I do follow what you are saying  :icon_thumright:

Ernie

Minkos61

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 03:29:15 PM »

A couple pics on the saw.

Ernie

Itsandbits

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 03:36:08 PM »

cool tool Ernie
You've inspired me to finally figure out a clamp for my saw; so far all my cuts are free floating
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

Minkos61

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 07:45:45 PM »

Thanks Lloyd and please show us what you come up with for a clamp system, it might help someone else out with the same problem .
Ernie

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 02:05:22 AM »

Oh that's a very good idea...  Hmmm...  I have a bunch of wood I bought for gluing rock onto but I never did because getting the glue off seemed like a pain in my butt but I could use the screw idea and that would work out nicely.  Genius.  You are a genius.

Minkos61

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 05:29:42 PM »

Thanks Gina! But no genius here just saw it on the web and made one up . :coffee2:
Ernie

Itsandbits

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 07:00:35 PM »

that's the definition of a genius; not trying to fix what works LOL
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

Minkos61

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 10:39:51 PM »

LOL Ok Lloyd I'll go with that .
Ernie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 46 queries.