Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Combo unit from Star Diamond  (Read 1159 times)

fissionchips

Combo unit from Star Diamond
« on: August 22, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »

Hi all, first post here on the forums, glad to be here!

I'm looking for feedback on a used combination machine similar to this model ( https://kingsleynorth.com/covington-6-silicon-carbide-combination-unit.html
) but from Star Diamond. It has a 6" saw, two carbide wheels and a faceplate but no drum. My only other kit right now is a small Lortone tumbler. Does this seem like a reasonable unit to get into as a hobbyist rockhounder who wants to display cut pieces but not particularly aim for sale quality?

I assume any type of face plate polishing requires multiple pads to change between grits.

Is a sliding clamp for the saw a useful feature? Some saws come with these and some do not. I could see adding a DIY slide unless freehand cutting can produce reasonably flat slices without heavy saw marks.

Thanks for any input!

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Combo unit from Star Diamond
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 05:13:06 PM »

I would check out the all diamond machines at kingley north.

Stonemon

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 05:24:58 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Bill

fissionchips

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 05:27:00 PM »

Hi lithicbeads - good suggestion, I'm sure the diamond wheels have advantages however I'm looking at an older carbide wheel unit.

I'm aiming for entry level, so to clarify this unit I'm considering is a used model for ~$350usd. I see the a carbide unit at $1100 and the diamond at $1700 on Kingsley.

Stonemon, thanks for the welcome!

fissionchips

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 05:34:36 PM »

Here's a photo attachment of the machine in question.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 05:42:56 PM »

Looks like a sturdy unit and for a reasonable price providing the motor works.  I'd probably change out the end plate and replace with an expando wheel. You have lots of options using various grit sanding belts and may find you have less damage to your pieces  (chip out at the edge) using wet sanding belts. The older wheels work, that what I started on.

And welcome !

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 09:19:00 PM »

Welcome!

Your question about slabbing is a good one. If you tap a couple of holes in the saw table (inside the reservoir area)  for 1/4-20 bolts, you can slot a piece of sheet metal angle to make a fence.

With a fence set up you can just slap the rock up against the fence and get slabs with consistent thicknesses. Learning how to avoid rotating the rock relative to the plane of the blade takes a little practice, but it's a skill worth developing.

Once you're comfortable with hand-slabbing you will be able to slice up oddly shaped rough chunks more easily than with a vise.

fissionchips

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 05:52:09 PM »

Kent, I'll experiment with face plate pads and then see if a rubber drum wheel would be more useful. It's nice to know there are options.

Vince - I like the idea of an angle fence. It speaks to the woodworker in me and seems practical so long as the piece has good registration on the table as well. I'm sure there are plenty of tricks to getting a 3d object not to wobble while slicing.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 06:09:13 AM »

Main trick in hand-slabbing is to keep fingers and wrists in same position through the entire cut.

There are small vises out there that slide along the side rim of the table. I made a sheet-metal skinned wood block for mine so I don't have to reset the wing-nut type crossfeed each time. Clamp the block in the vise and get repeatable thickness slabs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 44 queries.