Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Clamping round rocks  (Read 8575 times)

panaMark

Re: Clamping round rocks
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 07:37:38 AM »

A geode clamp is what I'm looking for. That gator clamp, at $36 each, and you'd need two, is a bit pricy. I need something to hold the round geode, cut as close to the middle as possible. Gluing to a board or something leaves glue or plaster that would be a mess and not very attractive. Wedges look to be about the best so far. Maybe my welder friend down the road can make me something similar to that gator clamp?

Hi Dave,
  if you just want to cut thundereggs and the like, then there was a big long thread about clamps and jigs over on another forum.
http://andy321.proboards.com/thread/71427/thunderegg-cutting-jig
I can't personally vouch for any of their suggestions, but the main poster 1Dave is pretty reliable for good advice and it is an interesting and inexpensive idea.  Hope this helps.

best of luck, Mark

55fossil

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 09:53:13 AM »

You might want to look at this link.  I really like these clamps. Buy one or you could probably make something similar. I am looking at making one with two set posts in the rear and two threaded bolts on the front. Just skip the hinge and use a solid piece of steel with four holes and the slot for the saw blade.   neal
http://www.pugetsoundknappers.com/how_to/Round_Rock_Clamp.html

Ranger_Dave

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 10:20:51 AM »

Thanks. Those two links gives me some ideas. I can make that wooden one.

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 06:36:38 PM »

A geode clamp is what I'm looking for. That gator clamp, at $36 each, and you'd need two, is a bit pricy. I need something to hold the round geode, cut as close to the middle as possible. Gluing to a board or something leaves glue or plaster that would be a mess and not very attractive. Wedges look to be about the best so far. Maybe my welder friend down the road can make me something similar to that gator clamp?

The gator clamp works pretty good. The ones I have fit into my LS-12 Lortone slab saw. You could also probably have a metal shop make these. Take a vise piece with you so they get the hole spacing correct.

Ranger_Dave

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 09:50:30 PM »

The welder down the road can cut anything to the shape I want. It won't be as pretty as the store bought clamp, but will work just fine. He can probably make two jaws for less than the price of one.

Our local club has about 20 large, 5 to 7 inch thunder eggs. They came in with a bunch of geodes that we cut at our annual show. These took too long to cut, so we just set them aside. I'm trying to cut them nicely in half to sell in our store. They're solid inside with some nice fortifications. I'm cutting them on our club's 18 inch saw. A clamp like that gator clamp would work nicely.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 32 queries.