Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting oil for trim saw?  (Read 2284 times)

Rockin' Randy

• Rockin' Ran-De's Jewelry
Cutting oil for trim saw?
« on: November 24, 2018, 02:09:52 PM »

There are so many cutting oil choices. I pick up my first trim saw on Monday and I'd rather get your input than go the trial and error route. I have a Kingsley North catalog and Rio Grande. KN has some you mix with water as well as straight cutting and mineral oil. Any pros or cons you'd like to share?
Thank you,
Randy

Slabbercabber

Re: Cutting oil for trim saw?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 02:37:03 PM »

For a trim saw you will want to use water not oil.  It will be blowing in your face and all over you.  I wear glasses and an apron.  It would be a good idea to add a wetting agent and a corrosion inhibitor.  I use borax and sodium nitrite (food preservative) for the purpose.

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »

I agree with SC, no need for oil on the trimsaw. There are several good water soluble products on the market for the purpose of lapidary cutting:

Lube Cool mixes 10:1 - I had problems with it foaming
Smokey's EZ-cut 1 quart makes 16 gallons, it's what I'm currently using
RV anti-freeze (NOT the radiator variety, rather the stuff for storing potable water plumbing)- good corrosion inhibitor, but not so sure on the lubrication properties
CRL Diamond Tool Coolant - I recently stumbled on this... haven't used it yet but will probably give it a spin when my EZ-cut runs out. If it works, it's definitely the cheapest at 50:1 mix.

Rockin' Randy

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 08:41:01 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I will give the water soluble stuff a try.  I see several types in Kingsley. I'll check on line as well.

ileney

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 01:22:12 PM »

Huh. I’ve been using the lube cool. It isn’t cheap though I haven’t personally noticed foaming. I think I’ll try one of the others you mentioned when I need to reorder.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 03:08:57 PM »

Curious if anyone has tried Covington's blade Koolant #1 or # 3 ?

https://covington-engineering.com/supplies/koolerant-1/

Rockin' Randy

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 08:08:48 PM »

Well I made the order and after talking to the guy at Kingsley North a bit, decided to go with Gem Lube. We discussed just running plain water, and while it's okay, I didn't figure it suited my use of the saw too well. I will probably see weeks of not using the saw at times. So the advice he added was to either drain the saw each time or risk corrosion to the blade and possibly loosing diamonds prematurely. As my saw is not set up to easily drain, I decided to try this synthetic water soluble stuff.  He also mentioned something about the 412 slick lube foaming up for a couple people, and they found it was due to high pH levels in some water. In which case they suggest using demineralized or soft water. I thought that was interesting as we discussed foaming here with the Lube Cool. So hopefully this Gem lube will do the trick with my well water and I won't have any complaints. I appreciate all the input.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 10:53:06 AM »

I use the Covington supplement oil to my Tractor Supply mineral oil. It improves the viscosity of the MO.
 I had a water trim saw once, but here in AZ, with the rapid evaporation, rust on the blade and parts became an issue, even with the inhibitors added.  I find using just enough MO with the Covington that makes sure that the kerf is covered.  I think some folks may use a bit too much and get the spray and spread on the saw platform.  My blades last a heck of a lot longer with the MO lube than did water, and I do not have to dress them as much or hardly ever. 

Rockin' Randy

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 03:13:22 PM »

Good information Michael. The guy I spoke with told me not to use too much also. He said just about a quarter of an inch of the blade in whatever I use, or I would get excessive spray.

Rockoteer

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 10:45:36 PM »

Well I made the order and after talking to the guy at Kingsley North a bit, decided to go with Gem Lube. We discussed just running plain water, and while it's okay, I didn't figure it suited my use of the saw too well. I will probably see weeks of not using the saw at times. So the advice he added was to either drain the saw each time or risk corrosion to the blade and possibly loosing diamonds prematurely. As my saw is not set up to easily drain, I decided to try this synthetic water soluble stuff.  He also mentioned something about the 412 slick lube foaming up for a couple people, and they found it was due to high pH levels in some water. In which case they suggest using demineralized or soft water. I thought that was interesting as we discussed foaming here with the Lube Cool. So hopefully this Gem lube will do the trick with my well water and I won't have any complaints. I appreciate all the input.

I like to drain my water quite often.  You'll see what I mean once you start.

Rockin' Randy

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 05:31:57 AM »

I'll keep that in mind about draining the fluid. I've seen a lot of units where people add a drain plug or tube. This saw doesn't have one and it would either have to be dumped upside down, or use a shop vac. I'll probably have to use the vac as I can't easily turn the saw over.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 48 queries.