Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd Stone from an Odd Place  (Read 978 times)

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
Odd Stone from an Odd Place
« on: February 27, 2019, 06:46:32 PM »

My cousin found this stone on a beach on the western side of Aruba. I researched the type of rock formations on that island, and this, IMHO, is not a "native stone". It is quite dense, a solid presence in the palm. I touched it to my 80 grit wheel as a quasi test of hardness, it is very hard, barely scuffed it.
I was looking for something totally different and an image search grabbed my attention: it looks quite similar to photos I saw of Banded Iron Jasper - but from Wyoming?
One thought from a friend, perhaps it was ballast on a long ago ship at port in Aruba?
Any help appreciated. I will be back with a photo of a cab from it my cousin wants me to make for his wife, cutting the banding at a diagonal.
My first cab is from a piece of jasper I found on the beach in Newport, OR my first Mother's Day, 1983. I made it into a bracelet for my daughter Christmas 2017.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Odd Stone from an Odd Place
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 08:48:15 PM »

Quartzite and you are probably dead on about ballast.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 04:17:29 AM »

Quartzite was my thought. It will still probably cab to an adequate shine and pleasant color pattern. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 06:03:09 AM »

Quartzite - like the countertops?
So, I googled quartzite and darned if I can find one image the least bit similar to this, even putting banded, striated, etc in the search. All examples of quartzite look, well granular and quartz-y. What I do come up with is this photo. 11_2018_19-100x100.jpg
*11_2018_19-100x100.jpg (2.78 kB . 100x100 - viewed 210 times)
Could y'all point me to something that is an example of quartzite that is like this? Not that I doubt. I am just confused.
Note: I am not able to get a streak off this stone at all. 
My first cab is from a piece of jasper I found on the beach in Newport, OR my first Mother's Day, 1983. I made it into a bracelet for my daughter Christmas 2017.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 08:48:13 AM »

That is typical quartzite , the images you find on the net are  atypical  because people are showing off.What rocks really look like is almost never depicted on the net.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 07:19:26 AM »

It looks more like petrified wood to me.  Identical in fact to the Parker wood found in Colorado.

Dirtyoldrockhound

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 06:19:51 PM »

Hands down petrified wood 

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 39 queries.