Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Earing findings, what do I need?  (Read 2806 times)

Bluetangclan

Earing findings, what do I need?
« on: August 24, 2016, 07:44:29 AM »

I have starting making small cabs for use as earings with pendants as a matched set. Still learning the wire wrapping process but so far all the "gifts" have been well received despite their visible (to me) flaws. When I was in class I was told not to try drilling something as small as earings, and use ES6000 glue to glue to findings. Well I kind of forgot to ask what kind of findings work for this.

To use an example I have a tiny charoite teardrop, fairly thin and completed. What kind of finding would I glue this too to make a dangly earing. Note I do not have access to any hot silver working equipment. Glue and those prong holders are my only options but I would rather not use prongs on these being so small.

This is a new aspect of this hobby I am working on to help justify why I like making pretty cabs hehe.

Slabbercabber

Re: Earing findings, what do I need?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 09:12:39 AM »

If you are talking about a 3D teardrop then look up "bell cap".  I you are trying to back a flat surfaced cab then you might try winding a wire into a spiral and gluing that to the back.  Any decorative shape could be used as long as it has sufficient surface for the adhesive.  All that is needed to cut a flat sheet of silver for use with hook type earring wires is a jewelers saw and a drill.  You can clamp a piece of wood to your desktop to use a a bench pin.

jakesrocks

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »

You may want to try the "beaver tail" type mountings. They come in several sizes & gold or silver color. They can also be found in sterling silver. Check these for an idea of what to look for. http://eloxite.myshopify.com/collections/findings-jewelry-1/products/bail-beaver-tail-small-12-pcs
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

Bluetangclan

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 11:28:59 AM »

Those are mounts? They look like predone earings of beaver tails lol. Same idea though, was hoping to find something dangly I could simply glue teardrop or other shaped stones to so you only see the stones. I could probably dremel the top parts down to narrow them maybe. Don't know though small teardrop and that would be extremely thin metal to be invisible

jakesrocks

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 12:47:33 PM »

The flat (tail) side glues to the back of the cab. The loop extends above the center of the cab, & they do make very small ones.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

Bluetangclan

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »

Ahh ok, couldn't see the back side in the pics, sounds like exactly what I was looking for.

--Ahh Slabber, saw a pic and figured out what you were talking about, that looks like a very expedient method for sure.

FLRocks

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 06:45:12 PM »

Blue,
You should let this inspire you to be creative and think about making your own findings and settings.  This could be your doorway to smithing and joining us in the frustrating and rewarding pursuit forcing silver to bend to your will.

FLRocks   
Bennett

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.