Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1584 times)

ErinEEK

• ArtsySmarty.com
Hello!
« on: May 11, 2018, 04:30:40 PM »

Hello, I've been a member of this site for quite some time now but this is my first post. I've been interested in Lapidary for several years now and have collected a large assortment of tools , rocks and books. LOTS OF ROCKS! I'm at a point where I get really frustrated when I cant identify stones for certain or in some cases in the ballpark of identifying it and I find it really hard to use material when I don't know what it is. I've recently started the IGS program for a Certification in Gemology because I think it will really help me fill in some of the blanks of my self-taught Lapidary knowledge. So I'm very excited about that and I'm super excited to start participating on this forum and learning what I can from all of you! 

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »

Welcome from Northern Arizona!   :hello:

If you've been lurking, you know there's a lot of folks who can get you in the ballpark regarding what some of your rocks are.  Post some pics in the identification section.  Let us see your rocks!
Robin

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 07:25:39 PM »

Hi, It is not at all unusual to have trouble identifying rocks as   rock identification guides are largely oriented to the specific experiences the guide writer has had. Rocks of any given type are wildly variable  and that causes all types of frustration. I have read many geology masters theses and dissertations written about the geology of my area and several times extremely good geologists admit in their dissertations that they cannot tell what type of rock a common type rock at a certain place happens to be. Analytical testing is very expensive for them as well as for rock hounds.Good luck and keep a sense of humor and humility , they help.

Sapphireminer

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 07:32:00 PM »

Hi welcome from sunny Queensland no mater what your friends say you can never have to many rocks enjoy the ride.
Dave

Stonemon

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 09:07:50 AM »

Greetings from Oregon!!  Welcome to the forum.

Bill

ileney

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 09:30:36 AM »

Welcome from Maine!

Kaljaia

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 09:20:18 PM »

Welcome from Eastern Oregon!
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 12:28:39 AM »

Welcome from just south of Seattle in Kent Washington.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 42 queries.