Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sealers, to use or not to use.  (Read 1677 times)

CedarTree1325

Sealers, to use or not to use.
« on: October 20, 2017, 10:12:35 PM »

Years ago as a teen I use to make cabochons. Im now retired and have my own shop to make all the cabochons!  I realize times have changed, is it correct to use a sealer on the stones, after I have polished them? Also, can anyone recommend a sealer, can I use? Your help appreciated and many thanks in advance.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Sealers, to use or not to use.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 06:55:13 AM »

If your stone is solid and not crumbly or pitty, there's no need to treat your cabs.  Stabilizing stone decreases the value.

If you want to stabilize or fill pits in some material, there are a few options.  Opticon is an old standby.  You could also try Hxtal (https://www.hisglassworks.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?x=0&y=0&q=hxtal) or Bond Optic (do a search - I've gotten it on Ebay, but haven't used it yet).

Hope that helps.
Robin

CedarTree1325

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 10:01:10 AM »

Thank you for the quick reply!
Yes, the stone Im concerned about is a lapis, where a tiny corner of about 1/32 broke off. The stone is in a noticeable and precarious area of the bracelet, so a repair is needed. I made the bracelet two years ago, and the owner is just now getting it to me. I would like to grind down the stone to be flush with the bezel area, but I feel that would still leave a pit, so a  slight build up of the pit/corner may be my only option. Thank you for the info on opticon and the two other options  :toothy10:.  I will research the 3 options you provided and, reply once again, should I have further questions. Kindest regards.

Jhon P

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »

If you have a small piece of lapis you could crush it and mix it into 330 epoxy and fill the damaged area than grind and repolish. So you don’t have a clear area showing

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 05:07:26 PM »

Jhon's reply is spot on. :icon_sunny:
Robin

CedarTree1325

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 10:41:57 PM »

:hello2: So much wisdom! I really like this group/forum! Thank you gentlemen. I will reply in a few days or so, with my outcome.
Kindest regards,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 38 queries.