Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Opal dugouts harbour precious histories"  (Read 1767 times)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
"Opal dugouts harbour precious histories"
« on: June 02, 2015, 08:10:46 AM »

"Opal dugouts harbour precious histories"

Postby brightlights » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:16 am
This one showed up on the radar and I don't know why, but I was moved a bit by it. When I think of Andamooka, I think opal, but Richard 'Dick' Clark moved there for the peace and quite back in 1945.

The outback opal mining town has long provided a refuge for those chasing fortune or seeking solace, and still today, rich oral histories can be found in amongst the town's white opal hills.

Richard 'Dick' Clark is one of the town's early residents, and his yarns are as abundant as the wrinkles on his weathered skin.

From inside his rustic dugout, Dick explains that he has lived in Andamooka since 1945, when it was just a cluster of tents, and had a population of no more than 20 people.

Dick says in Andamooka's early days, gelignite accidents were aplenty in the makeshift opal mines, feuds were frequent among the town's Eastern Europeans, and the biting summer sun was unescapable.

Rest of the story found here:

http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2012 ... 467523.htm

I find myself fascinated by the stories of this generation. How they used to do things or thought about stuff. Sometimes facing the sunset of their lives, they can't help but deviate into details that would have a lesser person running for the hills. I beg you to please take the time to listen to these stories and maybe learn something. Someday YOU will be the next to pass those memories or stories along and I'm sure you'd want folks to listen to you....

Re: "Opal dugouts harbour precious histories"

Postby PinkDiamond » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:39 am
Looks like he certainly enjoyed living the simple life, having everything he needed, and nothing he didn't, like so many do today. Nice article they did on him. Thanks for posting it BL. :D

Re: "Opal dugouts harbour precious histories"

Postby gingerkid » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:02 am
Enjoyed it, too, BL, and thanks for sharing it with us!! :D They knew how to improvise, make the most of what one had, and not complain about it or what they didn't have at all, and instead enjoyed and appreciated what they had on hand.
Anything not given, is lost.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 28 queries.