Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Central Oregon  (Read 1531 times)

The Obsidiot

Hello from Central Oregon
« on: April 14, 2019, 03:44:42 PM »

Hello everyone, thank you for letting me join your community. I've been rockhounding for a few years now and am completely addicted. I will stop for rocks often and although my vehicle seats 8 people there's no room for passengers at this point. I've gotten some amazing rock around here and I'm very close to making a business of it. I'm absolutely captivated by my siren song, iridescent magnetite in obsidian, or fire obsidian. I expect to be ocuppying a claim on Glass Buttes this summer mining fire obsidian and other types of obsidian until November sometime. I refurbished several old machines recently and have mounted them in my motorhome. Now it's a mobile rock shop. I have a 12" saw, 10" custom trim saw and arbor setup with a supergrinder and 2 hard wheels, 2, 8" poly's with custom pans and shrouds and 6, 8x3 bump wheels converted into diamond resin wheels, a Richardson's ranch low-speed buffer, a Richardson's highspeed grinder , and a glastar stained glass thimble grinder. I'm relatively quiet but friendly and talk much more when comfortable. I hopesometime we might be able to dig some rocks and share stories. I'll see you around!

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Hello from Central Oregon
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 04:14:45 PM »

Welcome , Very nice. How many spare tires are you taking?

ileney

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 04:36:40 PM »

Welcome! Lovely stones.

The Obsidiot

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »

I take 2 spares , I have good 10 ply tires. The trick is to never let your tires spin from losing traction. If you spin them it really doesn't matter what tires you're using. Just need a little smarts and good choices.

Thanks, just two stones I had handy.

Stonemon

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 07:13:06 PM »

Welcome from over the ridge on the McKenzie... :occasion14:

Bill

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 07:05:12 AM »

I am a two spare person also in that country. A rockhound  from Washington went down there for six weeks and went through 10 tires.no comment.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 07:05:57 AM »

Welcome from Northern Arizona!

Beautiful fire obsidian you have there.  Hope you'll entertain us with some pictures during your digs in Glass Buttes.  I have never been there and would love to see pics of your adventures.
Robin

Rustycat

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 12:24:13 PM »

Hello everyone, thank you for letting me join your community. I've been rockhounding for a few years now and am completely addicted. I will stop for rocks often and although my vehicle seats 8 people there's no room for passengers at this point. I've gotten some amazing rock around here and I'm very close to making a business of it. I'm absolutely captivated by my siren song, iridescent magnetite in obsidian, or fire obsidian. I expect to be ocuppying a claim on Glass Buttes this summer mining fire obsidian and other types of obsidian until November sometime. I refurbished several old machines recently and have mounted them in my motorhome. Now it's a mobile rock shop. I have a 12" saw, 10" custom trim saw and arbor setup with a supergrinder and 2 hard wheels, 2, 8" poly's with custom pans and shrouds and 6, 8x3 bump wheels converted into diamond resin wheels, a Richardson's ranch low-speed buffer, a Richardson's highspeed grinder , and a glastar stained glass thimble grinder. I'm relatively quiet but friendly and talk much more when comfortable. I hopesometime we might be able to dig some rocks and share stories. I'll see you around!

My Wife and I were planning our first trip to Glass Butte this Spring and after seeing your amazing pieces I have to ask if you could direct me to an area where I would have a chance to find pieces of similar characteristics.  I have appreciated the warnings re tire damage and I'll be driving a non 4x4 truck with only one spare, so that may limit my opportunity to find stuff out in the bush.

VegasJames

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 04:21:25 PM »

Welcome from Southern Nevada.

axllaird

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 09:23:21 PM »

Fire Obsidian looks as good as it sounds. Thanks for the pics mate and cheers from Edinburgh.  :occasion14:

Kaljaia

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 02:30:13 PM »

Lovely stones, welcome from a fellow central-Oregon'er!
I had heard the "Magnetite" claims were under dispute because the mineral under claim was not being extracted from the obsidian, which isn't claimable under current Oregon mining law (grandfathered claims excepted). I don't mind being corrected if this is wrong, as it's hearsay from another local old-timer. I'm on the other side of the Ochocos from that area and haven't made it around the hill to poke about for obsidian myself yet, but wouldn't mind having a known-friendly-face to look for if I do make it out onto the BLM.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

rocks2dust

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 10:31:28 AM »

Fire Obsidian looks as good as it sounds. Thanks for the pics mate and cheers from Edinburgh.  :occasion14:
Tons of old-dig obsidian from Glass Buttes was shipped to Scotland approx. 8 years ago to complete an art installation at Jupiter Artland not far from you. There was a mix of types, including Fire obsidian. I wonder what ever happened to any extras that weren't used in the installation and whether the artist would be willing to part with them? Here is a link: The Light Pours Out of Me

I had heard the "Magnetite" claims were under dispute because the mineral under claim was not being extracted from the obsidian, which isn't claimable under current Oregon mining law (grandfathered claims excepted).
And probably not even "grandfathered" claims is what the situation seems to be. It's still a mess, and will continue to be until it gets actually goes through the courts.

axllaird

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 01:10:46 PM »

Jupiter Artland is only 3 miles from me and i've been meaning to visit for some time. The Glass Butes Obsidian is now just an added incentive and i'll certainly be asking the question of where any extras went. Cheers rocks2dust

rocks2dust

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 11:38:21 PM »

Jupiter Artland is only 3 miles from me and i've been meaning to visit for some time. The Glass Butes Obsidian is now just an added incentive and i'll certainly be asking the question of where any extras went.
That obsidian was dug 40 years or so ago and was a mix from different pits all around Glass Buttes. I went to the Elkins shop in Prineville, where the pile had sat for many years,  and was surprised to see that was gone (it never seemed to diminish over the years, as very few bothered to look through the pile). The entire pile had been loaded up into a container and shipped off to your neighborhood. It was only searching through the remnants buried in the dirt which the backhoe didn't scoop up that I found Fire obsidian (along with Aurora Borealis, Pumpkin, Midnight Lace, and many other types) - wish I had searched through it more thoroughly before it was hauled away. I hope they had some left that you can search on a sunny day with water spray bottle! Does take a bit of practice to begin detecting the fire layers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 53 queries.