Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New find - Banded Orange Sheen Obsidian from Glass Buttes  (Read 6607 times)

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
Re: New find - Banded Orange Sheen Obsidian from Glass Buttes
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »

Wow that's great of you to share!!!

Need to efit my post to 125 pounds a year?

I doubt anyone up digging obsidian cares how much you pack out.  It is very hard work and when one hits a good spot they work it!  We had to quit on day two of digging due to blisters I got from using the 20 pound bar.  I am sure there is enough at the site to dig, slab, and sell but I certainly am not willing to do that much work!  I have enough from this trip to last me at least a decade and I doubt this spot will attract enough attention to exhaust the banded orange sheen obsidian for many years....

rocks2dust

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 09:45:39 AM »

I agree, pretty stuff. Can only imagine how it looks in person.

Need to efit my post to 125 pounds a year?
I believe the BLM regulations haven't changed over the past few decades. The rockhounding recreational limit is still 25 pounds per day, up to 250 pounds per year on all BLM lands. You go to the local BLM office (for Glass Buttes, this is in Prineville) to get a permit if you want to take more or if the rock will be sold or used for commercial purposes. I've lived around here, including a couple of stints working in a rock shop, long enough to know that the BLM does take action on egregious violations, including some court cases involving hefty penalties. Of more concern to rockhounds is that with increasingly constrained budgets and limited staff available to patrol, BLM and FS have been forced to close some problem areas to collecting.

55fossil

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 10:15:27 AM »

Michael;   super job on sharing with the good photos. Not that I need another rock but guess I have to go now...  neal

Orrum

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 01:38:38 PM »

Get em Neal!##

edgarscale

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »

thanks for sharing

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 09:54:43 PM »

Once i get the earrings finished, probably in a couple of weeks, I will try to remember to post photos of them in the last saved post spot. 

Now, for those that dig and cut I think this should be enough information to get you to the banded orange sheen obsidian through cutting and polishing.......   :thumbsup:

likesrocks

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 05:26:18 PM »

Seriously beautiful and very unique in it's sheen and coloration! Thank you for taking the time to share your adventure! If that were offered for sale I would be at front of the line!

I have cut something very similar looking to that and it was as off the chart beautiful as your pendants are!!!!! Thanks again!!!!

MurphyStone

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 05:09:27 AM »

Nice find, wish I could get there.  Thanks for all the pictures etc.

Orrum

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 06:03:45 AM »

I am going to try to go to glass buttes this year to load up on knapping material. Maybe I can get some of this!

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 10:07:45 PM »

I am going to try to go to glass buttes this year to load up on knapping material. Maybe I can get some of this!

When?  My partner and I plan to go back for another day in hole 4 in late October.

Windenzee

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 12:07:02 AM »

If anyone is selling some of that Orange Obsidian, I would be interested. Not living in the States prevents me from going rock-hounding for it myself.
Karen

Orrum

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2017, 03:56:46 AM »

Michael it would have been in late Oct or the spring glass buttes knappin. However all is on hold now due to a infection in my back. Had surgery yesterday. Have to heal up. My lovely Susan and I snowbird in the winter in Quartzsite Az. I don't know about late Oct tho because it snows then doesn't it. The surgeon won't close my back up it has to drain. Value your health my friends!   They say you can take a chair and just sit at Glass Buttes spelling the obsidian into preforms. That way you can take a lot of working pieces home without a lot of weight. I love hitting a rock! LOL. North Carolina has no knappable rock and only some rare ruby etc type stuff in the western part of the state so we enjoy hounding. Thanks agsin for the great box of material. I went thru it and washed them.and sorted them yesterday. Beautiful material!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 50 queries.