Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Type of motor to replace on a vibrating lap?  (Read 14260 times)

Jhon P

Re: Type of motor to replace on a vibrating lap?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 02:54:35 PM »

Is there a nameplate on the motor? If there is a manufacturer and catalog number you can give that to Graingers and it can be cross referenced. Of if it has the frame number, up, shaft size. Ect it can be looked up. Or do like what was already talked about find an old washing motor with the same shaft size and modify it to fit. Than sell it and set up a dry sander like I did!

Rei

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 03:55:09 PM »

Is there a nameplate on the motor? If there is a manufacturer and catalog number you can give that to Graingers and it can be cross referenced. Of if it has the frame number, up, shaft size. Ect it can be looked up. Or do like what was already talked about find an old washing motor with the same shaft size and modify it to fit. Than sell it and set up a dry sander like I did!

As mentioned, the label is long since worn off; the existing motor is a piece of junk that's so rusty that it's shed pieces of its casing (I have no clue what the last owner did with the thing to get it in such bad shape). And they don't sell top-loading washing machines here - at all.  I could always just google "Junkyard" and start clicking on random ones and asking them if they have top loading washing machine motors and if they'd ship to Iceland  ;)

I'm trying to think of how I could ask Diamond Pacific for the manufacturer and catalog number of the motor they're talking about selling without giving up the game that I'd just be using it to shop around  ;)

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »

Rei,

Call Tim at CigarBox Rocks:  541-280-5574 – Tim, or fill out their contact us page:  http://cigarboxrock.com/contact-us/  and see if he can't tell you what type of replacement motor to get.  Tell him you're in Iceland.  They restore old equipment.  I bet he can tell you what replacement motor will work with it.  They're very helpful over there.
Robin

Rei

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »

Thanks, I'll do just that!  :)

Ed: ... or not, the site seems to be broken  :(

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 04:20:32 PM »

Strange -- it's working for me.   Try again and see how it goes.
Robin

Rei

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 05:03:11 PM »

Have now tried Firefox, Chrome, and tried to load it on my cell phone as well.  All  only:

"Sorry, your request cannot be accepted.

« Back"

Doesn't matter whether I go to the contact page or the main page.  :(

Is there an email address or something?  Of course, I'll have to just hope that that doesn't bounce either  ;)

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 08:07:49 PM »

I can't find an email address anywhere.  I always call him.  I will call him on Monday and ask the question for you.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

Rei

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 12:03:30 PM »

I can't find an email address anywhere.  I always call him.  I will call him on Monday and ask the question for you.   :icon_sunny:

Thank you so much, that's so nice of you!  :)

Rei

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 01:13:21 PM »

Hi - did you ever have a chance to call?  :)

Rei

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 01:43:28 PM »

:(  Website still seems to be down for me.  I wonder if they have a block on Iceland for some reason?

Jhon P

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »

Donate it to someone and set up a dry sander

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 04:55:02 PM »

Hi Rei,

Sorry, no, I haven't had a chance yet.  Work all of a sudden got insane, but I will have time to do it tomorrow morning.  PROMISE!
Robin

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 09:11:54 PM »

Lets try this.  Google Lortone FL15.  See if that is yours.  If it is you can get the drawings from a pdf.  They don't list the motor size, but Lortone is still in business and yoou can contact them for more info.  Do you still have the offset weight?
Steve

Grayco

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 06:26:11 AM »

Lets try this.  Google Lortone FL15.  See if that is yours.  If it is you can get the drawings from a pdf.  They don't list the motor size, but Lortone is still in business and yoou can contact them for more info.  Do you still have the offset weight?
Steve
Lortone is still in business, however the old FL15 motors are no longer available.  The motors were made by A. O. Smith and are no longer produced.  I'm still working on finding a motor that can be modified to fit that application.  It's not easy to find a 1/6 HP motor with good quality ball bearings.
The one I have apart is possibly repairable.  I have replaced the bearings (the shaft was a little loose on the bearing so I staked it to tighten it up).  The upper bearing journal is also loose.  I may use JB weld to tighten it up. 
With these fixes, the motor will run again, but I don't expect a long life out of the fixes.
I'm looking at alternatives.  There are a lot of the old FL15s and FL20s with that same motor.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

-Red Green-

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 04:36:16 PM »

Rei,

Just wanted to let you know that I tried calling Tim on Friday and got his voicemail, so I left him a message to call me.  I'm sure he'll call me Monday, but if not then I'll call him again.   :icon_sunny:
Robin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 55 queries.