Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question about cabbing kyanite  (Read 1001 times)

ileney

question about cabbing kyanite
« on: February 22, 2020, 08:55:13 PM »

Hi, I got some rough blue kyanite and was thinking of cabbing it. It looks awfully full of mica or something fibrous that splits it into very thick sheets, almost. Does this stuff normally get stabilized, or could this mean it just isn't high enough quality to cab? Thank you for any information!

Slabbercabber

Re: question about cabbing kyanite
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 04:36:00 AM »

Kyanite comes in many purities.  Some of it is so flaky that it will come apart in your hand.  Other times is is relatively easy to cab.  Your success will depend on the sample you have.  I've not tried stabilizing it but I see no reason why not.

rocks2dust

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 09:06:01 AM »

I know rocks such as ruby in kyanite get stabilized, but hadn't heard of kyanite itself benefiting from stabilization (filled after shaping and sanding, perhaps, but not stabilized). Its cleavage and difference in hardness depending on the axis being cut already make it a problematic material. Kyanite can form as clusters of individual, needle-like crystals. It occasionally is found as larger, facetable/cabbable individual crystals. Are you sure that what you suspect are inclusions aren't thin crystals, or parts of the crystal itself that are splitting off? Or are there actual inclusions and porosity that would even make stabilization possible? Like Slabbercabber said, it depends.

ileney

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 01:02:33 PM »

Maybe this is that too flaky stuff. It is way flakier than the slab of ruby in kyanite I have, which didn't need to be stabilized and looks nothing like it. below is a bad picture. It's actually much bluer in color, but you can see how flaky it is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 33 queries.