Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I have got me my slab saw  (Read 4685 times)

Rockoteer

Re: I have got me my slab saw
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 11:30:20 PM »

I recently bought a gallon of the large animal laxative oil at Tractor Supply to use in my 10" Raytec slab saw.  It is a lower viscosity  than the "rock oil" clear mineral oil that I had been using. At this time of the year, my saw is in the sun most of the day. As we move toward winter the sun will behind the motorhome and the saw will be in shade again. With the lower viscosity and the heat from the sun, I am seeing a lot of oil vapor coming out of openings in the cover when the saw is cutting.  Checked out the human mineral oil at Walmart the other day and it is higher viscosity than the animal laxative oil. It also works out slightly cheaper per gallon even bought as multiple small bottles.  Will be using this in future and blending it with the laxative until the laxative oil is gone.

Jerry
What did you pay per gal. of the lax at the Tractor Supply?

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 06:22:14 AM »

everything Jerrysg said could have been from my own experience.  The last time I checked horse laxative prices at Tractor Supply it was in the $18 range, although it occasionally is closer to $15 when on sale.  I too blend Walmart human mineral oil laxative with the lighter horse stuff, and especially prefer the lighter stuff in winter when my shop starts the day cold and hence oil does not drip off of the slabs as fast until the oil has warmed.  The quantity buy with free shipping sounds like a good way to go, but I'm seldom that organized and clean saw spasmodically and suddenly realize I need a bit more oil.  I use 3 gallons in a 12" saw and a bit more in my trim saw.  I don't use water in anything but the cab machine. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

jerrysg

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 08:14:20 PM »

$18 range is exactly right.

Jerry
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 31 queries.