Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: local rose quarts in nearby conservation area  (Read 2375 times)

edgarscale

local rose quarts in nearby conservation area
« on: July 02, 2017, 02:05:41 PM »

it is nice to see that locally among the fossils found near here there is rose quartz.  hubby and i happen to be touring the petun conservation area in collingwood, ontario and came across a cluster of small rocks.  being a rockhound i picked one up.  it had quite a crust on it but one area peaked out in rose color.  it was rose quartz.  the nicest full bodied pink i have ever seen.  i am so pleased to find it.  there is virtually no information for collecting stones and fossils around here.  with great regret i had to throw the stone back.  it's against the law to take from protected areas,  but i am so pleased that we do have protected areas.  hears to protected areas our children and grand children can see in it purity    :occasion14: :occasion14:

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

55fossil

Re: local rose quarts in nearby conservation area
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 07:38:32 PM »

Just so you know you are not alone.  Not all of us think every rock and fossil needs to be free to pick up and take just because it is on public property. I know so many people who go to places like Yellowstone and scream about how wonderful it is. The second the same people hear about another inch of soil being protected ....  Well, people keep breeding and we do need to save some of the beauty, not just in museums.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 08:09:50 PM »

I agree.Many years ago a gem dealer from Arizona decided to be a little open about where he was living. Rural folks can be a bit paranoid and with good reason and he was no exception. He lived on a very big hill which he owned and had many switchbacks on the road to his house so he could see visitors a long way away. A huge problem was the amount of rose quartz that the road builders had unearthed when cutting the road. They used all the rock and soil from cuts in other places on the road and as a result there was a few miles of rose quartz road. He was  a rare gem dealer and had absolutely no interest in rose quartz and  could not understand it's fascination.

edgarscale

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 02:20:42 PM »

we have rose quartz ground in and blended into our highway as road material.  there are quite a few roads in the true north that have a pink sheen in it and when the sun shines on it -in just certain a way- that's it's quite pretty and sparkly, although, can be hard on the eyes.  it is slippery when wet, hence, they don't use it anymore as highway material but for dirt roads and parking lots. 

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 34 queries.